Info needed

Robin C.
on 10/6/04 10:38 am - Roundhill, KY
Hello- I had open RNY 11-18-03 so I am about 11 months out. I contracted MRSA in my incision two weeks after surgery and was incapacitaed about 4 1/2 months, where I could not excercise alot. I have lost 78 pounds but was shooting to loose 127. I do everything I am told to do, excercise, eat right, drink water, do protien but my weight loss has always been slow. I think that my stoma may have enlarged, because I am hungry every 2 hours or so and I seem to have a bowl movment every time I eat something, it is like food is dropping from my pouch to my intestines very quickly. I was just wondering if you all thought I might be a canidate for revision or what you would do if it were you. I am happy with the 78 pound weight loss, but really had counted on more, and I defintely dont want to gain any back. It seems like I just dont loose an oz now. Robin
sjbob
on 10/6/04 4:32 pm - Willingboro, NJ
I suggest that you get an endoscopy so a gastroenterologist can get a look at your stomach pouch. Also, if you are getting hungry every 2 hours, have a blended protein shake like HDT Pro 55. You can flavor the vanilla ones with Davincigourmet SF&FF syrups for variety. Make sure you blend them; they come out better than when shaken. I use a stick style hand blender.
audioqueen
on 10/13/04 1:15 pm - Pekin, IL
Robin, I had my open RnY on Sept 10, 2003. I didn't have any problems and I rocked along for 6 mos and lost 98 lbs. The next 6 mos, I lost 20 lbs. On my 1 yr checkup I pointed out the 20 lb loss to my surgeon. He ordered an Upper GI and it shows that I have a staple line disruption. I knew something was wrong when I was hungry a lot and I felt my lower bowels grumbling. If you're having those symptoms, I'd definitely contact the surgeon and let them do some tests now. I have surgery scheduled on Dec 20 to repair the leak, take care of a hiatial hernia and possibly a tummy tuck, although it may also include removal of a tumor/mass in my Uterus. So, I'll be having lots of fun this Christmas. Don't mess around very long, have your doc check out the possibility of a leak now.
mceleri
on 10/17/04 8:50 pm
I find that if I don't drink 1 hour before and 2 hours after eating and eat a mix of stuff like salad,meat, and a lttle potatoes, or rice it helps the food stay in my stomach longer. MRSA in your staple line wouldn't have enlarged your stoma-the 2 are not connected. Exercise has no effect on your stoma either. The stoma is an internal structure. Unfortuneately, the human body is geared for survival and chances are you being about a year out, your intetstines are readapting somewhat. Also another reason, people can eat more about starting about 5 to 9 months out, is that initially, in addition to the physical stapling or cutting of the stomach, the stomach swells/inflames if you will, from all the insult of the surgery, so as the tissue of the stomach shrinks, more room is created, your bowels are adapting, life goes on, and you change what you eat a little, and voila, you end up hungry all the time, or can eat more, or both. If you find the water trick and mix of food-always eat your protein first-(not drink it) if you find that doesn't work, then go get checked out. Thats what I did, I found I have a hole -not a "disruption"- I have a huge freakin hole in my staple line to the main stomach- and now I am headed for a revison. Its very dangerous to have the surgery again- much more so than the first time. Add more fiber, more real protein to fill you up, don't ever ever ever take motrin,naprosyn, advil any n-saids and you will be fine.
Most Active
Recent Topics