Can I get a revision? Please Help

Nicole R.
on 10/16/04 11:38 pm - Carrollton, TX
I had VBG done 1.5 years ago. I started out at 235 and got down to 140. I am now about 190 and would like to consider RNY. I am 5'6" and hope I don't hit the 200 mark again. The VBG seemed to be working very well for me until about 5 months ago when I started gaining. I cannot eat new food without throwing up and am actually getting sores in my mouth from so much vomiting. I usually try to stick to salad and protein bars because they stay down, unless I try putting new things on my salad. Also I am not an ice cream or milkshake type person. The only thing I do drink that I shouldn't is a slurpee once every few days. I see my doctor this week but wanted a heads up on a revision and what I need to have to do it. Thanks in advance for reading and hopefully replying. Nicole
itzmyturn
on 10/17/04 12:41 pm - Dallas, TX
Hi Nicole, I am no expert on the situation.. but I did have a VBG done about 10 years ago.. and I also gained back the weight that I lost.. I started out at about (5'7) 280....lost 80 pounds now I am back up to about 265...my target weight is 135-150 pounds so technically, I am considered morbidly obese and have a BMI of about 41.2...plus hypertension... what I can tell you is this.. most bariatric surgeries are for individuals that are at least 100 pounds overweight.. and most insurance companies have a clause in their coverage that states you have to have a BMI over 40 to qualify...and or co-morbities like sleep apnea, high blood pressure, etc. If you are only about 50-60 pounds over weight.. I am not sure that you will even qualify for a RNY... My advice to you ...first call your insurance company (unless you are self pay) and see what the requirements are for a revision.. then contact a surgeon that does revisions and ask them if you would be a candidate for a revision. My surgeon said that I qualified...due to my BMI and highblood pressure.. I am now just waiting on approval from the insurance company. Best Wishes Casey
dtspoodle
on 11/3/04 2:44 am - Las Cruces, NM
I had an RNY a little over three years ago. I lost about 75 lbs. I quit losing and began gaining weight about a year ago. My BC/BS federal approved a revision to DS within three days. I had the revision September 16, 2004, and have lost about 35 pounds. Dale
Most Active
Recent Topics