How long before I can go back to work?

LyndaNull
on 8/13/05 1:20 am - Conroe, TX
I am in the process of getting insurance approval for revision surgery. I had a staple disruption from my VBG, so I am planning to have the by-pass. I am trying to decide how long I will need to take off of work. I have always recovered very quickly from surgery, and I have a desk job. Can anyone give me some idea of how long to plan to be off?
DBS
on 8/13/05 4:06 am - Southwest, OH
Lynda, check with your doctor. I believe the rule is NO LIFTING OF ANYTHING OVER 10# for 6-8 weeks after surgery. That gives you plenty of time to heal and not make yourself liable for hernias or adhesions. I think the returning to work thing is a case-by-case decision. I am like you---fast recovery, high pain threshold---after my first surgery, I was out doing serious Christmas shopping within 2 weeks. (But took along a freind to carry the heavy stuff!) Other people may continue to feel weak and tired and not be able to go back to work for quite a while. Is your employer pretty flexible? Can you tell him hopefully fourteen days, but maybe longer if you are recovering as quickly as yu hoped? I do know that walking and being active really decreases recovery time. It seems like the people who can't overcome the nausea and weakness and stay off their feet take the longest to get back to 100%. Good luck! D
sasmith
on 8/15/05 2:53 am - Lemoore, CA
About walking...... the sooner you can get up after surgery the quicker you will heal. it promotes circulation and there for healing it will also help prevent other complications such as pneumonia and DVT (deep vein thrombosis) of course always consult your MD before you start to walk or do any exercise but the sooner the better. best of luck MJS RN
Susan M.
on 8/14/05 8:26 am - Rockford, IL
Hi Just wanted you to know that I returned on Friday from a conversion from a 23 yr old VBG to open RNY . I am 56 years old and had other stomach problems as well. First few days were rough but I am really doing GREAT now. I know we will both be loosing very soon. Good luck to you - it is all worth it! Susan
LyndaNull
on 8/14/05 8:53 am - Conroe, TX
Thanks for the posting Susan. When did you have your surgery? Have you gone back to work yet? I am hoping to return to work after taking off for two weeks. I hope that is a realistic expectation. I am really excited about the process, and I hope that the insurance approval comes quickly.
Most Active
Recent Topics