alaskasusan’s Posts

alaskasusan
on 3/11/19 4:33 pm
Topic: RE: My ride in an ambulance and an emergency revision to my RNY

Well, I can tell you that I DID get a boost to my weight loss. I'm back to my heavy weight-lifting and am now training for a Spartan race in 2020. The ulcer thing is something I have to watch always since apparently I'm prone to them and have silent symptoms. Insurance is a mess and I'm in hock to my eyeballs...but I'm here to enjoy the sunrise and hear my new grandsons giggles. Life is GOOD!

I hope things go well for you...I am pretty hyper about my protein and vitamins as I know how vital they are. Let me know how you're doing!

alaskasusan
on 8/31/18 7:47 pm
Topic: RE: My ride in an ambulance and an emergency revision to my RNY

I posted most of this on the RNY forum but wanted to add a note here as well, since I ended up getting a revision. Last week I woke in the most horrid pain in my stomach but I am 'tough' and I am NOT going to go the ER in the middle of the night. Right. So I did walk around for a solid hour with my phone in my hand in case I started to pass out (I wasn't thinking really clearly) and didn't want to call a friend at 3 in the morning. Gave up and made myself call 911, who told me to be sure the door was open and to sit down somewhere. They came in quite quickly, checked my heart thoroughly even though it was stomach pain because it was radiating so severely. Off I go in the ambulance to the ER where I met the surgeon who assessed me, then waited in the ER for 11 hours before the surgeon could operate. They did put me on an iv and gave me pain killers.

Surgeon (God bless him) told me that when he went in laparoscopically, he'd find one of two situations: 1) he'd see what was going on, clean it up, do a revision and I'd recover...or 2) he'd see a big mess, have to open me up, clean up what he could and put me on massive antibiotics, close off my pouch and put a feeding tube into my remnant stomach; then in a month or two, go back and reverse all that and THEN do a revision. God blessed me and we went with Door Number One and I am thankful as can be I didn't go the other way. This was all due to perforated ulcers that I did NOT know that I had...no symptoms at all.

I meet with him on this coming Wednesday for a follow-up to find out exactly what was done. I can draw a diagram of an RNY in my sleep but I can't really say I'm clear on exactly how the revision was done...I know he excised my old pouch and some part of my intestine, as the crisis was perforated ulcers. He kept asking if I'd used NSAIDS but that is something I've never done, not once since my original RNY. But I have been under an unusual and horrid amount of stress, way beyond the norm so perhaps that had some bearing. I'll learn more when I see him.

I live alone, am retired, and have awful obamacare coverage, so I can't imagine what my life will be like from here on in. Ambulance with all the heart stuff they did, ER for 11 hours, surgeon, anesthesiologist, assistants, pain meds, and four nights in the hospital....shudder.

When I checked out no one had been by to give my my clothes, so I got sent home in a hospital gown. I was just thankful they added pajama bottoms, LOL. Took several days to get clear of the drugs, but my last pain med was the morning of my checkout - have had only a couple of Tylenols since then, so that's good!

I have been perusing the Revision Forum but haven't found much info on RNY to RNY - anyone have something like this, I'm sure I'm not unique! Just wonder how this works for a revision. I have restriction again, but does any metabolic benefit happen on a revised RNY? Anyway, I am babying my new baby tummy and recovering very well! :)

alaskasusan
on 8/31/18 7:28 pm
Topic: RE: Protein shakes

My absolute favorite is IsoPure ZERO Carb. 25 gr protein in a one-scoop serving of 100% whey protein isolate. I use ice cold water that I've set in the freezer for 20 minutes so I don't have icy chunks and either add a squirt of IsoSplash food flavoring. I like the high quality protein, ease of mixing, and zero carbs. Flavor is just fine but I've only used vanilla so I can change it up.

alaskasusan
on 4/2/15 4:30 pm, edited 4/2/15 4:32 pm
Topic: RE: Vitamins

Wow...I don't want to derail the thread but I want to respond to your post. I was 57 with a BMI of 41 when I had my RNY, also bad GERD so no other really good option for me; also hypothyroid.  Completely alone, widowed mom of two grown sons so all on me. Since your husband is not supporting you, you must get into a good mindset that it really is up to you alone. That is not necessarily a bad thing either! ((Also, I had very long, thick hair and lost an absolute freak-ton of it after surgery. But it is coming in just as thick as ever - I kept it mostly long and glad of it, it was very nice hair again, less than two years after surgery so that is the least of your worries)).  

You need to have it set in your heart and mind that this is for YOUR health and well-being. You can eat 'normal' food again eventually -- but you need to realize your head isn't operated on, only your stomach. You are fully responsible to follow THE PLAN: eat protein-forward, don't drink your calories, take your vitamins without fail, get some exercise every day, drink your water, watch the carbs (they will totally derail you if you don't because they go down way too easy)...etc!  You CAN succeed but you have to wrap your head around it really being up to you and you alone.  Just learn to overlook the nasty comments, the snide remarks, and keep your eyes on the prize: your health, your life, your body. Good luck and stay in touch here!

Most Active
Recent Topics