Dove’s Posts

Dove
on 7/14/20 4:58 am
Topic: RE: RNY to RNY revision

Hi Carrie -

My Doctor is very understanding and has seen me battle and seen the stressors in my life. Also, she's an ARNP (Registered Nurse Practitioner) instead of an MD, and I've found overall that female ARNPs are a lot nicer. Insurance isn't giving me a hard time other than making me prove myself for 6 months. I have to see my doc 6 times, a dietician 12 times, lose 5% of my weight, get a psychiatric evaluation, etc.

Dove
on 5/12/20 3:32 pm

Hi!

I'm not sure which procedure they're going to do. It sounds a lot less difficult and invasive as the RNY gastric bypass does. I'm assuming there is no additional bypassing on a revision, just a tightening of the pouch. I'm also assuming it is done laparoscopically, as long as it can be performed that way physically (and on me that would probably work quite well, since I carry my extra weight more from the hips and legs than in my stomach area).

I have a lot of questions to ask the case manager when we chat next.

Thanks again for sharing your experience and knowledge. :)

Dove
on 5/1/20 10:01 am

Will do! :)

I've never heard of the StomaphyX. I'll have to look into that. They haven't told me how they'll do it. The dietician thinks it's probably just the pouch being made smaller again, and not any more intestinal bypass. Do you know?

It is nice to meet you!

Dove
on 4/24/20 6:37 am

Hello, friends. I had a RNY in Nov 2005 and it held fine for over a decade, but then I returned to school to get bachelors and masters degrees. No regret, but MAN these years have been the most brutal, unrelentingly stressful of my entire life. I'm sure you know where this is going. From 340lbs to 195-205lbs, and now back up again. I'm pursuing a revision, and I'm pretty sure the doctor is going to stick with the RNY. I haven't had a chance to ask a lot of questions. Do they tighten the pouch and bypass more intestine? Curious what others' results have been. My first surgery went well, not a hitch other than some ankle edema.

One big change is I now have lipidema (read: different than lymphedema) and it has led to a lot of health problems that I didn't have when I was larger before. Also, I need to lose some weight by requirement before I can have the revision (I didn't have to before the original). So, this is going to be a uniquely challenging 6 months. Crossing my fingers I get full approval, and that people in my life don't freak out about my decision.

I'm looking forward to hearing from folks about their experiences.

Thank you.

Amy

Most Active
Recent Topics