Amboline’s Posts

Amboline
on 11/5/18 10:19 am
Topic: RE: Bleeding marginal ulcers

Oh wow. I hope your recovery is going well. Right now we are jus****ching everything. My GI is pretty conservative when it comes to any type of invasive procedure. So far medicine seems to be working pretty well. It's about time for my next endoscopy so I'll know relatively soon whether or not I have any more ulcers. He wants to avoid revision surgery if at all possible because he knows how extensive it will be.

Amboline
on 6/11/18 3:15 pm

I'm pretty certain insurance coverage won't be a problem. I just found out a friend of mine is having gastric bypass done in Little Rock by a highly recommended surgeon. I'm not sure he's an option, but I really don't trust Dr. Barnes. He scares me. Most of these complications aren't his fault in any way, but the ones that are turn me off of him completely.

Amboline
on 6/11/18 3:03 pm

Well, I don't think I have much choice in the matter. If revision is required, my GI doc wants me to use the surgeon who did my bypass in 2005. That is definitely not what I want. I'd rather use just about anyone else. But I'm not sure I'll have much choice. But surely he's learned something in the last 13 years!!! I certainly hope so!

Amboline
on 5/31/18 3:48 am

Just to add, I also wouldn't choose a revision if it was solely for the purpose of regaining weight. The revision is only because the ulcers have become life-threatening. They will also quite likely remove the remnant stomach. I'm not sure I like that idea, but I have a huge risk of ulcer bleeds in that area that they wouldn't be able to get to to easily repair.

Amboline
on 5/31/18 3:40 am

Thank you. I'm glad I found this. I'm going to be exploring the site a lot more.

Amboline
on 5/30/18 6:07 am

I'm sorry. I only just saw this portion of your reply. I still have the remnant portion of my stomach. Thank God I've not had to go through all that you had to. My experience was really easy for a long time. I was blessed in that way.

Amboline
on 5/30/18 6:00 am, edited 5/29/18 11:01 pm

I apologize. Yes. I did have great weight loss success. My surgery was in 2005. I went from roughly 275 to 150. I?ve done ok with keeping the weight off. I?ve had times where it?s gone back up, but never even to 200. Right now I?m in the middle of a gain cycle. About 185 or so right now. I generally manage to stay around 145-150. But it?s because I?ve had a few years dealing with another health issue that?s just been one complication after another. My weight will come off again once I?m able to get back to my routine of exercise. I don?t really eat bad things, but any calorie will stick when you can?t get out and do anything to work it off. I think I said earlier that for years I never had any trouble with my surgery. I would?ve recommended it to anyone. Now I don?t think that, nor would I recommend it. For several years it?s just been one thing after another with my digestive system. All attributed to my RnY. So a revision of that is not something I?m looking forward to doing. But at least I now understand what the surgery actually did. I now know I was completely uninformed about what it entailed. I thought I knew. I knew what the surgeon told me. Which wasn?t everything. But, in 2005 they didn?t know what long-term complications were going to be. The surgery was too new then.

Amboline
on 5/28/18 1:02 pm

Thank you for sharing that with me. I'm on Protonix daily and am supposed to be taking Carafate, but it isn't available in my area due to back orders in all of the distribution companies. That's just crazy. I completely avoid NSAIDS of any kind and watch what I eat. Especially anything high in acid content. Plus, I live in Louisiana and our food tends to be very well seasoned. I have to be careful about that too. But it doesn't seem to matter what I do. I still get the ulcers on my anastomoses. I did fine with my bypass until a few years ago and then just suddenly started having lots of issues with it. My GI doesn't see my surgeon in a very good light. He's seen the results of my surgery in my EGDs. Called him a quack. Lol. But maybe having the revision done will solve all this.

Amboline
on 5/27/18 7:04 pm

Hello all. I'm brand new here and very glad I found this forum!!! I've had at least 3 marginal ulcers since 2012. The first healed quickly and wasn't a big deal. The second (early 2017) and third (August 2017) landed me in the hospital ICU. With the third I nearly bled to death with B/P dropping to 40/0. I'm now having really bad abdominal pain and reflux when I shouldn't be. I can't lie down because my stomach pain becomes unbearable. I'm fairly certain I have another ulcer and am scheduling an EGD Tuesday. Has anyone here ever had this issue and had to undergo a bypass revision? That's pretty much what I'm looking at with the recurring ulcers always in the same area. And quite honestly, it really scares me. I've not really had a very good experience with my RnY since about 2011. Thank you.

Susan (Amboline)

Most Active
Recent Topics