Will I really have more energy post-op?

MeiMei130
on 6/6/08 9:28 am - Chicago, IL

The primary reason I'm considering WLS is that I'm so tired of being tired. I've been thru thousands of dollars worth of testing including screening for apnea, for deficiencies in every hormone, vitamin and mineral known to man ( thank God for health insurance) but there is no explanation for my unrelenting exhaustion other then I'm hauling around an extra 100 pounds. I also have a lot of discomfort in every joint from my hips on down which also think helps contribute to my being tired all of the time. I walk up to two hours a day (I was tired before I started this exercise routine and I actually feel more awake when I'm working out - its when I stop that I want to curl up and snooze).  I get at least eight hours a night and I still wind up sleeping all weekend in an attempt to "catch up". My job is not terribly taxing, I'm not running after kids , I just me and the dog and all I want to do is put my head down and take a nap. I've suffered from depression on and off my whole life - but I'm not a sleepy depressive - I'm an insomniac when I'm feeling blue. This is more like an overwhelming urge to just go to sleep - like when you've been up really late - but I feel this way all day.

So, did any of you not only loose the weight but also the exhaustion? I can't help feeling a little skeptical that if I'm only eating 700 to 1,000 calories every day that I'll have more energy than I do now (I'm only eating 1,500 now and am loosing about one pond per week on my insurance mandated six month pre-op diet). Some people post the same recurring fear here, that they will be he first one in history not to loose weight post-op - I'm worried I'll be the first person in the history of WLS to have even less energy post-op (long term) than I do now.

Would the chronically tired - those who got better, those who got worse, and those who feel they stayed the same share with me their experience of WLS and chorionic exhaustion? Thanks. I have to go take a nap now. Zzzzzzzzzzz......

grannycarolyn
on 6/6/08 9:40 am - TX
RNY on 03/04/08 with
WELL... everyone is different. I can tell you what it has meant to me. I am 3 months out and can now walk 2 miles on a treadmill, 5 days a week. I feel more like moving, walking, even doing my housework. I think I laugh more. I still get tired, but not as fast as I used to. I think I have more energy and I hope it will happen for you too, good luck.
Fuzzywuzzy
on 6/6/08 9:47 am - tukwila, WA
WELL!!! you have alot going on for sure.. OK.. here's My story.. i'm only 5 months out.. mind you.. and i have lost 100 lbs..from 370 to 270.. YES>. i have MORE ENERGY! BUT.. when i was going through what you sound like your going through.. i was diagnosed with sleep Appnea.. That Being said.. when i got on my Cpap i started feeling Better.. immediatly..  Also.. there may be a Chemical Imbalance.. but it sounds like you've had alot of Tests as well..  lets look at the Bigger Picture.. What will it Hurt to have the surgery? I can almost Guarontee you.. that you will Feel better.. in alot of ways.. but there is no guarontee in life.. so it may or may not help with your energy issues.  I wish you the best of luck.. i know that for ME i would not trade my RNY in for the world.. i'm so happy with it so far..  and according to my doc.. soon i may actually be off of my Cpap machine.. WOO HOOO!!

Brightest blessings! one day i'll be a muscle Bear!

Cleopatra_Nik
on 6/6/08 10:30 am - Baltimore, MD
If you're anything like me...HECK YEAH.  But that's not always a good thing.  In the beginning my habits were the same when my energy was increasing, so it came out as nervous energy.  Now that I can work out, I have a good flow of energy.  Can walk as much as I want to, climb many flights of steps (today I did the bottom to the top of my building, 9 flights of steps with 2 staircases per flight in a minute and 53 seconds), and don't feel too buzzed.  I do find that if I slack off with the workouts I get sluggish. 
MeiMei130
on 6/9/08 1:42 am - Chicago, IL
Thanks guys - I'll keep my fingers crossed.
JeanDiehl
on 9/18/21 11:37 am - Harrisburg, PA
RNY on 04/19/21

My comment isn't so much in answer to your question but comments just to let you know that you're not alone. I have the same problem that you do, every test in the book, CPAP didn't help my energy at all, feeling like I'm going through life sleepwalking . So far with the weight loss of 60 lb with 30-50 more to go, 5 months out of surgery and I'm still sleepy all the time. I remember when I was more active I used to say I wish I could sleep and walk at the same time because I was sleepy but not necessarily physically tired. Reading everyone's answers, it seems like exercise has been the answer for them along with the weight loss. But that is WITH the weight loss. My problem now might be needing exercise but it has never helped in the past. The only thing that has helped me is that my neurologist that treats me for sleep apnea has prescribed adderal-an ADD drug. Having had the gastric bypass, we can only take short-acting drugs and it only lasts around 4 hours. I will be talking to my doctor about it and trying to get an increase in dosage. When it's effective in my system, I can think so much more clearly because I'm not sleepy, I can move faster because I'm not sleepy. When I'm not taking the medication, I feel like everything I do takes 5 to 10 times longer than it would take anyone else. I also suffer from chronic pain as you do and physical therapy has helped along with the weight loss so that I might be able to start walking again. I'm hoping that's the key- the combination of walking and a better medication regimen. Plus, as someone else said, chronic pain is physically exhausting which can cause us to be sleepy too. And dealing with it can cause the depression as you mentioned. I am also on antidepressants without which I would be a mess.

~ Lexipro ~
on 6/9/08 1:46 am - SC
Fighting chronic pain EXHAUSTS your body. Relief from that may help right away. I have much more energy now - but I noticed it alot more when I started exercising. Serious exercising. Maybe you can look into some water aerobics classes or something now, that wont put a strain on your sore joints and will help with your energy levels. I sleep like the dead now (and I never had apnea, just wasn't a sleeper) and am much more energized all day.

Lexi -  Size 6-8 and holding.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 364 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 287 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 388 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 480 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views