Food Coma?

MemphisRain
on 3/31/09 4:58 am - asfasdfasdfds, CA
Does anyone else have this problem? Any time I eat anything I end up so tired I feel like I'm going to pass out. I'm about five months out if that matters.

Had some chicken + rice for lunch and am about to snooze on my desk.  Did NOT eat a large amount, am completely full, just really really really tired.

RNY Surgery 10/22/2008   Heaviest Weight 274  Pre-op Weight 268/272(?)  Currently 127! One-derland! DOWN 147 POUNDS- More than I weigh now! Goal 125 (impossible?)

(deactivated member)
on 3/31/09 4:59 am
 hmmm... I get that way every now and then, especially if I eat dense protein.
Watessa
on 3/31/09 5:01 am
I wonder if it's the carbs (rice)?  I was told not to eat rice.

Do you know if you have sleep apnea?  I've been treated for it for a couple of years and what you describe is pretty much how I felt all the time!

Are you getting sick?

agt1965
on 3/31/09 5:02 am - Winfield, AL
 Ha, we must have been posting at about the same time...see 'Eating Issues' below. I'm early out and having that problem, lol.  No help from me as I'm wondering the same thing!

50 pounds lost pre-op!
Utodc
on 9/17/20 8:01 pm
RNY on 03/23/17

Me too. Have you figured out how u need to eat?

Cleopatra_Nik
on 3/31/09 5:06 am - Baltimore, MD
No answers but I think it's interesting that yours and the post below yours are about the exact same thing. 

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

MemphisRain
on 3/31/09 5:07 am - asfasdfasdfds, CA
I don't know if I had sleep apnea before treatment, but I know I don't snore now. I seem to sleep better.

My PCP said rice + carbs = okay, when I was following the surgeons diet I was getting really ill, and my liver was shutting down, I was having a lot of vomiting issues.  I eat them in small amounts (I had probably 2-3 oz of chicken and maybe 1/4 a cup of rice for lunch) and usually try to eat vegetables first.

I'm just sleeeepy. :-)

RNY Surgery 10/22/2008   Heaviest Weight 274  Pre-op Weight 268/272(?)  Currently 127! One-derland! DOWN 147 POUNDS- More than I weigh now! Goal 125 (impossible?)

(deactivated member)
on 3/31/09 5:26 am - Falls Church, VA
I have only had this happen once and it was a month ago.  We were out to dinner, I had some carrot cake (it was my birthday okay!) and I ate about 6 bites.  Then...the yawns...then dozing at the table..then...hubby had to take me home so I could go to sleep.
Amy_in_MA
on 3/31/09 6:20 am - Danvers, MA
Even an "approved" food can cause your body to respond a certain way...our bodies don't really know what is and isn't "approved" by our surgeon/NUT/dietitian. :) So, that said, my best guess is that it is the rice...some people are extremely sensitive to carbs and will suffer from food coma from even a small amount.

LaLaLauren
on 3/31/09 6:47 am
I had the same response after eating 4 Ziti noodles........and again after sugar free cake.  I'm thinking that its my version of dumping.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 490 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 456 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 464 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 45 replies · 418 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 117 views
Forum Search Error & 404