STILL losing hair!

aliciawheat
on 9/6/09 3:57 am - Rome, GA
I'm taking in about 80-100g of protein per day. I'm STILL losing hair by the handfulls EVERY day. My hair is getting so thin. Any ideas on what else I could do? I keep upping my protein....it just doesn't seem to be working!  HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seashell6417
on 9/6/09 4:05 am - Gaylord, MN
I still lose my hair but not as much now.  I am taking biotin and I also cut all of my long hair off.  It looks much better and the loss is not nearly as obvious.
Tami

aliciawheat
on 9/6/09 4:17 am - Rome, GA
What is biotin?

FastFingers ~*~
on 9/6/09 11:52 am
You may not have heard much about this B vitamin, but that's easy to understand. Although it helps our bodies convert food to energy, the importance of biotin was discovered only about 60 years ago. Most of us get more than enough biotin in our regular diets. In this article you'll learn what it is, which foods have it, and some of the ways it keeps us healthy. Here's what you will learn:
  • What Is Biotin?

Biotin acts as a coenzyme
    in the metabolism of fats and carbohydrates, the breakdown of proteins to urea, and the conversion of amino acids from protein into blood sugar for energy. You should eat at least 30 micrograms a day; fortunately, most of us get 3 to 10 times that much. On this page you'll learn how it was discovered and how to avoid a rare biotin deficiency.

• Benefits of Biotin

In addition to its metabolic properties, biotin also has some health benefits. When normal intake of biotin is supplemented, it strengthens fingernails, relieves a scalp condition in newborns, and is very effective at controlling blood sugar levels in diabetics. On this page you'll learn how high of a dose to take to achieve these healthy effects.

Biotin plays a significant part in the prevention of hair loss. Most nutritionists agree that biotin is one of the important vitamins for supporting hair growth. It is also commonly advised to take biotin to supplement medical treatments such Minoxidil or Propecia.

A deficiency of biotin may cause hair to become frail and unhealthy, and hair breakage, which may result in hair loss.

Flying Spagetti Monster

"Doubt everything.  Find your own light."
--
Last words of Gautama Buddha, in Theravada tradition

siberiancat
on 9/6/09 4:23 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
I'm still losing my hair, too.  For 2 months now.  I also take Biotin daily. It is a B vitamin that is to help with hair regrowth.  As I understand, it won't keep hair from falling out.  I also massage my scalp to get the blood flowing and I get 100+ gms protein a day.  Don't know anything else to do.  I also got hair cut - it seems fuller now.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

(deactivated member)
on 9/6/09 5:15 am - Coram, NY
I'm three months out and losing hair like crazy.  The loss is not really obvious to the rest of the world yet but I see it.  My hair is long and I DON'T want to cut it!!!!   AAAAAGH!   I look HORRIBLE with short or medium-length hair.  My face just doesn't look right with shorter hair.  
Laura in Texas
on 9/6/09 5:28 am
You're only a little over 4 months out.  Hair loss is normal from about months 3-9.  I lost mine from months 3-7.  Try to relax about it.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

addygurl
on 9/6/09 6:13 am - TX
It's the price we have to pay for all the weight loss...I'll take it. My hair loss started at 2 months and went all through 5 months. Hang in there.
ADRIANA
"The time is always right to do what is right." Martin Luther King Jr.

SkinnyMiniFishtail
on 9/6/09 6:17 am
Does everyone lose hair?
Cynthia R.
on 9/6/09 6:45 am - Montgomery, AL
There is very little, if anything, you can do for hair loss.  Just make sure to take your vitamins and continue getting your protein.  I started losing mine around 3 months and am now 6 months and still lose it daily.  It has slowed down a little bit though, thankfully!  My hair isn't thick, nor has it ever been, so I can tell.  I don't look good with short hair either.  Just remember, it looks worse to you than to other people.

I've been taking Biotin also.  It is helping with regrowth.

H/S/C  314/310/145.0

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 407 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 403 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?