It's not the stomach...

Robert P.
on 3/24/11 7:08 am - Pelham, AL
It's the BRAIN!!  I've found the stomach isn't really the culprit in losing and keeping weight off.  I lost just about 200 lbs. in the first year or so after surgery.  Then, I had an anal fissure and repair, followed soon by a perineal abscess that required another surgical intervention.  Needless to say, that was about 6 sucky months.

During this time, my exercise (racquestball, weights, etc.) stopped completely.  The instant sedentary lifestyle, and ensuing return of bad eating habits has led me to put 25 lbs. back on.  It's amazing how easy it was to let a few carbs here and there escalate into full blown pre-surgery style consumption of carbs and sweets.  I didn't even step on a scale for the last 6 months.

My clothes were getting tight, and I just felt like crap.  The awful depression set it, and I was back to my old self - not wanting to go out and do anything.  This, along with some other personal issues had me hating my life again.

So, I took a few days off work, started eating like I was supposed to, and got outside and got myself moving.  In just a few days I'm back down a few pounds, and I've gotten back to the gym.  I know someone who has put every bit of her weight back on after RnY, and there's no way that is going to be me.  I feel like I'm back on track now, but I think I'll search out a support group anyway.

High 468 / Surgery 433 / Current 243/ Goal 219
azreggie
on 3/24/11 8:11 am - Tucson, AZ
Good for you Robert!  I got into a major depression, having had alot of people pass away and three out of three animals put to sleep, I understand completely.  I knew what was going on but didn't care to stop it.  I have put back on 30 pounds and am in the process of getting it back off too. I even quit weighing myself which for me is a really bad thing, I'm back to weighing everday, the scale doesn't lie.  I cheer you on my friend as I cheer on myself.  Today I have a NSV that I have not once today hit up the vending machine at work!  Go me, and you.

Reggie

JaimeK
on 3/24/11 8:16 am - Klamath Falls, OR
 I say support groups are the best thing going...I am cheering both of you on!!!!
(deactivated member)
on 3/24/11 2:01 pm - TX
Were your medical issues related to the RNY?
Robert P.
on 3/24/11 5:02 pm - Pelham, AL
The anal fissure was.  The 1 or 2 colace a day that was prescribed post-surgery apparently wasn't sufficient, and the constipation created an unbelievably painful tear to form.  However, the tear itself was nothing compared to the repair surgery.   I've hair sinus surgeries, an adult tonsilectomy, RnY, and was split open from sternum to navel for stomach surgery, and that was easily the most painful thing I've ever been through.

The abscess may have just been unfortunate timing, I'm not sure.
High 468 / Surgery 433 / Current 243/ Goal 219
(deactivated member)
on 3/24/11 11:22 pm - TX
That sounds just horrible. I can imagine that surgery in that area and then trying to find a comfortable way to sit/rest for weeks on end would be awful. I have a friend who has Crohn's and she often says fissures and abscesses go hand in hand; she is constantly battling both. Your weight loss is phenomenal though!! I'm glad all the 'bad' stuff is out of the way for you!
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 362 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 387 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 238 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 479 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 398 views
Recent Topics