3 years after RnY: how much liquid (in Liter) are we supposed to drink

godzilla
on 3/24/11 4:54 am - Israel
I aim for two and a half to three liter a day.
I pee a lot. Today I saw a Urologist.
He says I am drinking double what I should.
Also, when I pee, it "pulses" at the end of most urinations.
I did jave a total hysterectomy in May 2005.
Mikimi in Israel

Crazy* ~Beautiful
on 3/24/11 5:04 am - East Haven, VT
I am 8 months out and I drink almost 4 liters a day...yup I pee like a preggo haha!

I've been told you should half your body weight in ounces of water...so for me that would be 100 ounces, I guess I'm on track!?
RNY-7/22/2010-Highest weight 315 / Surgery weight 280 / Current weight 186
1st Goal weight 199~"one"derland-REACHED! 2nd Goal weight 180~-TO BE CONTINUED!
  1st 5K: 29.48-5/19/2011  2nd 5K: 26.47-7/16/2011
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
(deactivated member)
on 3/24/11 7:12 am
hey this is off the topic but how did you lose the 30 pounds before your surgery?
Crazy* ~Beautiful
on 3/24/11 10:04 pm - East Haven, VT
Hi Michelle...
Before surgery I had to go on 6-month supervised diet/weight loss plan (required by my insurance)
So begining in Jan 2010 at my heaviest (315lbs), I started eating less, I made small changes...stopped drinking my calories, no soda/juice/alcohol, etc...also I started having a lean cuisine meal for lunch, so it was mostly about portion control.
Also I started walking 2-3 miles a day, then using my Wii-Fit program.  I went from 315 down to 293
Then during my 2 week liquid pre-op diet right before surgery I lost another 13lbs...so day of sugery I was 280.

I think this is why my weight loss seems so slow post-op...because I lost quite a bit even before surgery...maybe not, but its just a thoughts lol

Good luck!
RNY-7/22/2010-Highest weight 315 / Surgery weight 280 / Current weight 186
1st Goal weight 199~"one"derland-REACHED! 2nd Goal weight 180~-TO BE CONTINUED!
  1st 5K: 29.48-5/19/2011  2nd 5K: 26.47-7/16/2011
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Lady Lithia
on 3/24/11 5:08 am
I don't know the actual number of liters.. it would seem that 1.5 to 2 liters would be a good quantity

TMI question..... have you experienced the "pulsing" when you pee ever since your hysterectomy? 

I ask because it would seem to me that the hysterectomy might have messed with your support system in your pelvic area, and that migth result in a change to your urination. Did you mention this to your urologist and get any kind of response? 

I also ask because after my tailbone surgery (which REALLY messes with the muscular support system for the entire pelvic region) I'm experiencing the whole "pulsing" with my urination, like I don't have it in me to get it all out in one big squeeze, but rather have to make several "squeezes" to get everything vacated. I know this is sort of personal and stuff, but it leaves me wondering since I'm home recuperating and I mostly have a lot of time to just think about my body and its recuperation.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

godzilla
on 3/24/11 5:28 am - Israel
Ain't nothing too TMI on these boards!
That being said, the extra peeing I noticed in middle of night since the hysterectomy. However the "pulsing" is in the last couple of months. I also notice the discomfrt when trying to fall asleep (I start off laying on my left side).I often feel as if I have not emptied the bladder but the US results beg to differ.
My GP thought fleetingly of Prolapsed Bladder and thought to send me to Gyn after his vacation. I thought of just making an appointmnet next week if possible as
I have Apronectomy on 11/04.

Pam T.
on 3/24/11 5:19 am - Saginaw, MI
 I'm over 3 years post-op and drinks about 60-70 ounces per day.  Which is about 2 liters. I think you are drinking about the right amount for a normal RNY person.

Remember, before surgery the stomach is where water was absorbed into the body and used by our organs who neeeded it. But now we don't absorb water in the stomach and it has to flow all the way to the large intestine before it's absorbed again (water is absorbed all along the intestinal track, but the next "assigned" spot of absorption is the large intestine).  So we are at a greater risk for dehydration than normal people. 

A rule of thumb to follow for how much water is the color of your urine. It should be a "light lemon yellow" -- if it's a strong yellow color, then you're dehyrated and if it's clear with no color, you're drinking too much water. 

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

godzilla
on 3/24/11 5:31 am - Israel
Thank you Miss Pam my dear friend!
I felt like /I was talking to an alien.
Each doctor and their specialty!

Lady Lithia
on 3/24/11 5:34 am
Excellent characterization! I go for the light clear yellow color (except the sunflower yellow following my B-complex) and if it gets dark, I worry.

I'm one who checks the bowl always..... nothing like one's leavings to indicate relative health!

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

kilmarlic
on 3/24/11 6:01 am - powells point, NC
I'm one who checks the bowl always....Me too!!!!!!!!!!!! Ha ha ha ha...

How's your recovery from the tail bone isssue? I ask because mine is still a royal pain in the ass. Some days are better than others. I really didn't enjoy the shots from the pain management doc. But I know I can still go that route another time or two if I can't tolerate the pain. On an interesting TMI side note my pain completely disappeared for about 5 months last year following my colonoscopy. Guess maybe I really was full of it?!?!?!

- Iris

sorry to have hijacked the thread.

Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Highest      Surgery    Lowest      Current                                                                 

314.5          294          208        258.4

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 354 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 386 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 477 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 395 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 124 views