Iron (lab report) up ....... but HOW can that be??????

luvtadanc
on 3/24/11 10:35 am

Pre surgery, my Iron was excellent and with good reason, I had already been eating a very healthy diet (1200 - 1600 calories a day) for over 2 years.  I just couldn't lose weight.  Surgery was 9/27/10 and I've been very fortunate to be able to continue mostly healthy eating.  My first labs, after surgery were 2 months out and all proved to be good or better.  The only drop I saw was Iron.  It went from 90 to 60 and Ferritin dropped to 64.  I knew my diet at that time was minimal (following surgery), but of course it has improved as my new pouch continues to heal.  So I decided to NOT take any Iron supplements until I had my 6 month checkup.  To my complete surprise, my Iron jumped from 60 to 88 with Ferritin going from 64 up to 75?!!!???!?!?    HOW can that be.  I have taken zero Iron supplements.  I thought we didn't absorb any vitamins and minerals during this phase.  Mind you, I"m not complaining, I just want to understand how this can be.  I'm sure I had the surgery, I've lost weight, not as fast as some but it has been 72 lbs since surgery.  I don't mind losing slowly, as long as I never gain it again.  That is my whole focus.  But you could have knocked me over with a feather when I saw my Iron levels actually went up with no supplement.  Has anyone else had this kind of experience or know someone who has?

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/24/11 10:47 am

Is there iron in your multi?

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

luvtadanc
on 3/24/11 11:03 am
No Hala.  I take no supplements with Iron.  I guess I should also add I'm 57 and past the age of needing my levels to be elevated.  I do eat Iron rich foods, I just didn't think we could absorb the minerals at this point.  Like I said, I'm not complaining, just in shock.  If whatever I'm doing could help someone else who needs Iron, I would love to be able to tell them how it happens.
BariatricBSN
on 3/24/11 11:31 am
Have you been evaluated for hemachromatosis (sp?)  People with this blood disease are often of Irish descent and have high iron levels.  Ask your doc!

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/24/11 12:55 pm
Great to hear that. We absorb more iron from iron rich food that we can absorb from supplements.
You iron and ferritin is not too high.  you really do not want to lower than 50 IMO.. I would like mine to be 50-100 max.   But since the iron bothered me - I stopped taking enough of it and my ferritin dropped to 11... my iron and other blood results were good, but with ferritin 11 I had a lot of symptoms of iron deficiencies.  It is taking me forever to get that number up.  
WE want our ferritin close to100 (IMO) as possible.  There is a possibility of more surgeries (I had a few) and there is always a blood loss due to that.  There were few weeks I could barely eat anything... again... loss of iron.. 
Just make sure you stay on top of that.  Even with no TOM we need iron.  
I do take special heme iron and eat a lot of foods rich in iron.  Slowly hopping to get better.  

Glad you are doing OK>

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

NIXMOMMIE
on 3/24/11 11:11 am - NC
I am pre op an have been getting iron infusions for 2 yrs. I had my iron checked this week because next month I am due for my bi yearly infusion. I was blown away when they told me my feritin was 178. just enjoy it. low iron sucks puppy nuts.
poet_kelly
on 3/24/11 11:16 am - OH
We absorb some vitamins and minerals from food.  Just usually not enough.

But knowing yours was dropping, why did you decide not to take any supplements?  Luckily it's worked out for you, but the decision seems odd to me.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

luvtadanc
on 3/24/11 12:04 pm, edited 3/24/11 1:42 pm
Thanks to all of you for your responses. 

Kelly, I think about EVERYTHING concerning this surgery and my health.  I think it's just part of who I am, but in this situation, my thinking was, my Iron count previously was 90, It took just over 2 months for it to drop to 60, I knew I had just under 4 months til the next lab check and wanted to see what my body would do as I was able to improve my diet, as I returned to more normal foods.  I picked up a book that gave me a list of foods with the best Iron counts and included some of those foods in my diet on a regular basis.  It's the only way I have to check my own theories.  I wasn't really worried (at the time) because I'm past child bearing years and don't require as much Iron as a younger woman.  Also, I had no symptoms of the Iron level getting lower.  Although, I had actually gone out and purchased the Carbonyl Iron (65mg) to be ready for what I thought was going to be the inevitable inclusion of Iron in my vitamin regimine. 

My nutritionist and Bariatric doc (both are different from the doc that did the actual surgery) admit there is still little known about WLS patients and nutrition.  That's why there are so many different opinions when it comes to the best way to approach our new life.  My personal surgery was done at  Mayo, just so you know I'm dealing with some excellent medical professionals.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 362 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 283 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 388 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 479 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 399 views
Recent Topics