2 weeks post op, and feeling really lost (lots of whining ahead)

ceruleanme
on 3/24/11 1:29 pm - CA
 I know I could probably go see my surgeon, but every time I turn around I'm getting another surprise $200 bill for something they didn't tell me that I was going to need to pay for.... So I'm turning to the internets and people who have been there, done that.

I'm 2 weeks post op, and my recovery has been complicated. Something with my breathing tube went wrong, and I left the hospital with pneumonia, and ended up back in the hospital a week later. I'm doing a lot better, and home now... but as far as eating and stuff, I feel lost.

Today I'm supposed to start soft food. I've managed to eat maybe half a serving of greek yogurt. I'm not doing well with my protein shakes- I can swallow them just, but for whatever reason, despite choosing carb-friendly options, everything I put in my mouth makes my blood sugar go up. So I am, basically, not eating. 

Now, I had this surgery because of diabetes- my surgeon lead me to believe that I would more than likely leave the hospital not needing medication for it anymore, but my sugars are worse than ever.

Swallowing my pills is painful and takes an hour, as most of my pills need to be cut into quarters. I can't exercise yet to bring my blood sugar down. I can take insulin, but that is going to slow weight loss and likely make me even more insulin resistant than I am. 

I am really wishing I'd never had this surgery. 
Michelle_2975
on 3/24/11 1:37 pm, edited 3/24/11 1:46 pm - Canada
It will get better, promise. I had to take my diabetes meds for a little over a week after I left the hospital.
ceruleanme
on 3/24/11 2:23 pm, edited 3/24/11 2:23 pm - CA
 I happy for you, but this makes me more bummed for me... The longer I need the meds the more I fear that it my diabetes will never go away. :(

libby99
on 3/24/11 1:38 pm - Canada
I have no idea what to say..only hang in there. We all suppport you.  There are many others who have more experience and may have better answers for you here and I hope their wisdom can help you.  I too started this journey on March 15 and it has been rough to say the least...I understand completely.  I feel lost and like I am starving... I miss my comfort foods and am challenged everyday with what I can eat on this liquid diet part. We can learn from all people who have survived this and learned how to successfully lose the weight after a rny.

ceruleanme
on 3/24/11 2:24 pm - CA
 Last week I missed my comfort foods, this week, I'm really happy not eating and don't want food. I hope next week is easier for you. ;-) 
Lady Lithia
on 3/24/11 1:42 pm
I would call your surgeon, regardless of any fees to see him (though they should be included) .... it's natural to be feeling remorse and wishing you hadn't done this.... as far as blood sugars, I'm totally clueless about that, but this sounds like something wehre you really need your surgeon and/or your doctor's expert help, because you want to get it right.

Good luck, and know you're not alone....feel free to come and whine all you want. (not that this is whining, at all)

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

ceruleanme
on 3/24/11 2:26 pm - CA

MY surgeon doesn't handle my blood sugar at all, my GP does it all... 

poet_kelly
on 3/24/11 2:40 pm - OH
Ah, I'm sorry you're having such a rough time.  I got pneumonia after surgery too, really bad.  Was in the hospital for three weeks, on a respirator for a few days.

Eat tiny amounts of Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, stuff like that.  Sugar free pudding with a little bit of protein powder in it (don't add too much, it'll get gritty and gross).  Refried beans if you want something that's not sweet.

You gotta get the protein in.  If it requires taking insulin right now, then I'd take it.  I understand it's not what you want long term and likely you won't need it long term (but I cannot promise that, of course) but you will not recover well from surgery or pneumonia without protein and you'll end up breaking down muscles and your heart is a muscle... you get the idea.

Kelly

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

ceruleanme
on 3/24/11 3:04 pm - CA
 I at maybe 2 tablespoons of greek yogurt 3 times today. Which got me about 5g of protein? I also ate 3 vienna sausages- which are nasty little things, but I was really really wanting meat. 

I'm really trying to get my protein in. I also picked up some Atkins protein shakes which hopefully really don't have sugar in them. I'm really starting to think that the Designer Whey protein people lie and have some hidden carbs in their product.

poet_kelly
on 3/24/11 3:09 pm - OH
Have you tried Isopure ready to drink bottles?  You can get them at GNC or Vitamin Shoppe. I don't love them but I can tolerate them.  They have no sugar and no carbs and 40 grams of protein in 20 ounces.

Or Syntrax Nectar?  You mix it with water and they have flavors like roadside lemonade, lemon tea, and various fruity flavors.  No sugar, no carbs in that, either.

Have you been mixing yours with milk? I wonder if that is the problem?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 368 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 339 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 401 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 339 views