Friday Fun: Have you ever...

Cleopatra_Nik
on 3/25/11 1:52 am - Baltimore, MD

We are some interesting birds, us post-ops. We exhibit all sorts of quirky behavior. It’s interesting because after a while you get so used to looking like a weirdo (in some respect) to non-ops that you don’t even notice it before.

Keeping that in mind I ask you have you ever done these things. You can answer or offer up some of your own. But here’s the fun part. You might think you are the ONLY one who has done these things but I promise you, you’re not!

So have you ever…

Apologized to restaurant staff for the amount food you ordered or ate?

Over-tipped a waiter because you felt guilty about that small amount?

Freaked because you though your jeans were getting too tight and you were re-gaining weight…only to remember they just came out of the dryer?

Left the house rather than be in it with certain food?

Avoided eating certain food by giving it a good “talking to" about tempting you?

Randomly spouted off the stats of some food when people were just talking about how much they liked or disliked it?

Answered the question “how ya doing these days?" with the amount of weight you lost?

Weighed yourself…went poo…and then weighed yourself again?

Danced with the devil in the pale moonlight? (Sorry..couldn't resist. Strike that one!)

There. That’s a good starter list.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

Russel B.
on 3/25/11 2:11 am - Ellicott City, MD
Great series of Questions Nik.  My Responses

Apologized to restaurant staff for the amount food you ordered or ate? I am not sure if this counts as apologizing but one of the very first times I traveled post-op, I ordered a tuna steak that came out to dry for me (For a "normal" person it would have been just fine)  I ate less than a quarter of it and had had it.  The waitress just "Knew" something was wrong with it, despite my efforts to convince her I just wasn't that hungry.  She comped the meal - which leads to the answer to your next question
  Over-tipped a waiter because you felt guilty about that small amount?  Yeah went way over the top on the tip for the waitress above.   Freaked because you though your jeans were getting too tight and you were re-gaining weight…only to remember they just came out of the dryer?  Can't say I've done this   Left the house rather than be in it with certain food?  OMG yes too many times to count.  A good long walk seems to help quell the voices of the food that sings to me at times.  I also don't buy those Trader Joe Flax Chips cause I swear I would try to eat a whole bag in one sitting and not even care about the subsequent pain.  Ah me and my trigger food.   Avoided eating certain food by giving it a good “talking to" about tempting you?  I talk to the scale, I talk to myself, I even talk to dead relatives - I haven't talked to food . . . yet.   Randomly spouted off the stats of some food when people were just talking about how much they liked or disliked it?  There are people in my family who now cut me off mid-stats because they don't want to hear it again.   Answered the question “how ya doing these days?" with the amount of weight you lost?  In the rapid weight loss days, yes if you were in the inner circle of people (mostly my wife and kids) who I am sure I droned on and on to about the whole WLS experience.  I needed to verbalize all the changes going on to help me get my head around it.  There were times when I really got concerned that it was all I was able to talk about.  I've chilled a great deal since then.   Weighed yourself…went poo…and then weighed yourself again?  You mean there are post-ops who haven't done this?  Heck, I did it from time to time pre-op.  
Danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?  That is not a nice way to talk about my wife, lol.

Ok I have one, has anyone ever left a grocery store because it wasn't living up to your shopping experience expectations.  For some reason, food shopping has become a very big ritual for me.  I need to go to one of those Giants with the hand scanning wand, and that has a kiosk to enter the deli counter order on.  The other weekend I went into a alien Giant, no hand scanners.  I thought I could get through it ok.  But, when they didn't have the deli kiosk, I left my shopping cart right there, walked out and drove to the "home" Giant.  My wife had some real concerns when I told her about this, lol.

Fear is the lock and laughter the key to your heart            
boomsheeka01
on 3/25/11 2:23 am - Killeen, TX
Apologized to restaurant staff for the amount food you ordered or ate? Nope, but I had one bring me a to-go box with my meal because he knows I always automatically ask for one!

Over-tipped a waiter because you felt guilty about that small amount? Nope, nope....Hubby and I always share if I dont get chicken! 
Freaked because you though your jeans were getting too tight and you were re-gaining weight…only to remember they just came out of the dryer?
Heck to the YES!! Every time!   Left the house rather than be in it with certain food?
Yep...frozen grapes!   Avoided eating certain food by giving it a good “talking to" about tempting you?
Haha I havent dont that one yet...sure its coming though!   Randomly spouted off the stats of some food when people were just talking about how much they liked or disliked it?
Yes...and they look at me weird....hmmm   Answered the question “how ya doing these days?" with the amount of weight you lost?
Every time! :) 
Weighed yourself…went poo…and then weighed yourself again?
LOL I do this basically every day!  
   Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lady Lithia
on 3/25/11 2:26 am

Apologized to restaurant staff for the amount food you ordered or ate? At higher order establishments, i've had concerned wait staff ask if there was a problem with the food and had to explain that i have a very small appetite and a little goes a long way. At mediocre establishments it doesn't enter my mind.

Over-tipped a waiter because you felt guilty about that small amount? Hubby and I tip based on what two normal adults would have probably purchased, it's not the waiters fault that I eat like a bird.

Freaked because you though your jeans were getting too tight and you were re-gaining weight…only to remember they just came out of the dryer? YES, and worse, when I was having a "retaining water" day and oen of my smaller pants wouldn't fit, I about cried my eyes out, reliving a lifetime of moving UP in sizes.

Left the house rather than be in it with certain food? No, but I've been known to physically put obstacles between my sight and the offending food item.

Avoided eating certain food by giving it a good “talking to" about tempting you? I talk to cows, rocks, and trees, but so far not my food.

Randomly spouted off the stats of some food when people were just talking about how much they liked or disliked it? guilty as charged

Answered the question “how ya doing these days?" with the amount of weight you lost? nope, as I have a lot of coworkers who only knew me thin, so losing weight isn't a big topic.

Weighed yourself…went poo…and then weighed yourself again? I have done this a few times but found no real change in weight so stopped doing it. Though by the size of some of my "leavings" I am often surprised they don't weigh more!

Danced with the devil in the pale moonlight? (Sorry..couldn't resist. Strike that one!)

There. That’s a good starter list No but on a blind date once, my date drove me several hundred miles down the coast to Carmel, and we danced by the light of the moon on the vacant beach with only the sound of the surf serenading us.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/25/11 2:38 am, edited 3/25/11 2:39 am

Apologized to restaurant staff for the amount food you ordered or ate?
Apologized?
no... Explained? a yes... so many times.. Now I just say: I am not really that hungry.... and since this is coming from what other people call "a skinny chick" - they do not have a problem with that

Over-tipped a waiter because you felt guilty about that small amount? Yes.

Freaked because you though your jeans were getting too tight and you were re-gaining weight…only to remember they just came out of the dryer? - all the time...

Left the house rather than be in it with certain food? no... when at the party - I would leave the room where there is "offending" food

Avoided eating certain food by giving it a good “talking toÂ" about tempting you? o yea..

Randomly spouted off the stats of some food when people were just talking about how much they liked or disliked it? sometimes ... not often, and only when someone is trying to make me to eat a sample, or have a bite...

Answered the question “how ya doing these days?Â" with the amount of weight you lost? not really, but would tell them that I gained weight when some friends comment on how good I look..

Weighed yourself…went poo…and then weighed yourself again? lol... yeap

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

nfarris79
on 3/25/11 2:48 am - Germantown, MD
 Don't have to be post-op to answer some of these:

Freaked because you though your jeans were getting too tight and you were re-gaining weight…only to remember they just came out of the dryer? I'm looking forward to buying jeans that aren't majority spandex/lycra.

Left the house rather than be in it with certain food? I regularly banish myself to the bedroom with my laptop because I don't want to even look at the kitchen

Avoided eating certain food by giving it a good “talking to" about tempting you? I regularly look in the fridge at my husband's food/leftovers and OUT LOUD say "I hate you. I hate you pizza. I hate you so much for having carbs and tasting so good".

Randomly spouted off the stats of some food when people were just talking about how much they liked or disliked it? I think my family, friends AND clients are sick about hearing my plethora of carb & protein opinions.

Answered the question “how ya doing these days?" with the amount of weight you lost? TOTALLY

Weighed yourself…went poo…and then weighed yourself again? even weirder, I've brushed my hair to see if it made a difference. It doesn't

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Melissalove3
on 3/25/11 3:03 am - Portland, OR

Apologized to restaurant staff for the amount food you ordered or ate? Yes!!! 

Over-tipped a waiter because you felt guilty about that small amount? No I havent but I could see myself doing that.

Freaked because you though your jeans were getting too tight and you were re-gaining weight…only to remember they just came out of the dryer? I have done this pre and post op...LOL

Left the house rather than be in it with certain food?  I did this at work this morning because there was fresh bread sitting on the table... Everyone was making toast and it smelled soooooooo good. I had to get up and walk out.

Avoided eating certain food by giving it a good “talking to" about tempting you?  Guilty., My husband came into the kitchen because he thought I was talking to him.

Randomly spouted off the stats of some food when people were just talking about how much they liked or disliked it?  Yes I have been doing this and I need to stop because they really didnt ask me the stats. 

Answered the question “how ya doing these days?" with the amount of weight you lost? I havent yet...

Weighed yourself…went poo…and then weighed yourself again? Nope, not yet but Im sure there will come a time...LOL

turningpoint
on 3/25/11 3:11 am
Sadly I answer no to all EXCEPT the devil dancing....My (then) spouse and I had been to a wedding reception.  I was upset cuz he didn't dance with me.  We were in separate cars on a 2 hour drive home and it was pouring rain.  He pulled over out in middle of nowhere, so of course I pulled over too.  He cranked up the radio and we danced in the rain on a deserted highway in the middle of the night with only a touch of moonlight . 

Ok, now I'm tearing up at what he sweetheart he was then.  It wasn't until years later I realized what a devil he was. 
Emily
HW/SW/GW/CW
249/236/135/133.6  
Kim S.
on 3/25/11 3:24 am - Helena, AL
Leave it to you Nik to quiz us on Friday!  Feels like high school!!

Apologized to restaurant staff for the amount food you ordered or ate? Yes when they are concerned that I found fault with the meal--I just ask for a box and tell them I wasn't very hungry.   Over-tipped a waiter because you felt guilty about that small amount?  DH and I always share a meal but we tip as if we'd both ordered entrees--same amount of work for the waiter.   Freaked because you though your jeans were getting too tight and you were re-gaining weight…only to remember they just came out of the dryer? All the time   Left the house rather than be in it with certain food? No--I'm out of sight out of mind   Avoided eating certain food by giving it a good “talking to" about tempting you? No--I talk to my cats like they are people, but I haven't talked to food   Randomly spouted off the stats of some food when people were just talking about how much they liked or disliked it? Oh yeah...guilty   Answered the question “how ya doing these days?" with the amount of weight you lost?  Embarassingly yes I have--only in the first year--now I hardly ever discuss my surgery or my weight.  My co-workers only know me at this size although they know I've had WLS because of questions asked about the tiny amount of food I eat, why I don't eat sugar and why I don't drink with meals..   Weighed yourself…went poo…and then weighed yourself again? No-only because the scale is in the basement and there isn't a bathroom down there.....  
Danced with the devil in the pale moonlight? Not yet

AuntSugar
on 3/25/11 4:53 am - La Verne, CA
Weighed myself this morning.  Went poo, stepped back on the scale and went up 2 tenths of a pound???!!!!  Tried standing on different spots on the scale, but it didn't budge..  Go figure!  I had to laugh at myself.  I am compelled to weigh myself every day, but haven't panicked yet.  My weight seems to almost constantly fluctuate up and down by about 2 pounds .  I vowed not to worry unless it goes up 3 pounds and stays there for more than 2 days (and not to forget to that constipation makes a difference).  So far, so good.

I do talk to my food all of the time, but don't leave the house to avoid certain ones.  Anything that's tempting, but freezable, goes in the freezer.  Anything that isn't freezable or belongs to someone else are the ones I covet the most, so I talk to them, yell at them and swear at them with vigor.

I used to dance with the devil in the pale moonlight on a regular basis.  (Other addictions that started from self-medication in a former life - I'm such a good girl now that I hardly know myself, but I do like the new and improved me much better.)  
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 411 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 355 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 404 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 0 replies · 3 views
Recent Topics