OT....can someone help me with my iPod/iTunes?

Deedles
on 3/26/11 4:00 am - Highlands, TX
This thing is gonna drive me nuts! Since I had the computer upgraded and basically had to start from scratch, I'm having trouble getting music from my computer show up on iTunes. I know that same music was there before because that's how it got in my iPod! So I'm sure it's most likely a setting I'm missing. I don't want to delete what's on the iPod until I work the problem out.

I've looked all ov er the Apple site for tutorials and such but all they tell me is how to turn it on and download music, not toubleshoot a problem! And I've had no responce from their customer service...imagine that?!?!

So I thought one of you Techy Types might be able to help me. If youc an and wouls rather not take up space here, PM me and I'll call or email you.

Thanks!

Music-less in Texas!
Dee ..... ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>
My new G.O.A.L. ~~~~ Get Out And Live!

Includes 61lbs lost before surgery

(deactivated member)
on 3/26/11 4:10 am
Hey Dee!

I'm wondering if the music on your computer is not in the standardly expected location to which iTunes defaults.  Do you know where the music on your computer is located?  What I'd do is start looking... look for a folder called 'music' on any of your drives and access it to see if all your music files are located in there.

Once you locate where the music is stored, open iTunes.  To change the setting of where iTunes looks for your music, follow this path:

Edit (at top of panel) ---> Preferences ---> Advanced Tab

Once on this page, you can see a section at the top where it shows where it's looking for your music.  If what's shown doesn't match the location you found for you music, click the 'Change' button and make the change. 

Hope that's what the problem is because it's easy to fix!  Give it a shot... good luck!

tori

Deedles
on 3/26/11 7:08 am, edited 3/26/11 7:11 am - Highlands, TX
Tori...I double checked all that and made sure all my music files are in the iTunes/iTunees Media/Music file. When I compared both, there are a few files that are on the computer but not on iTunes.

One thing I discovered is some of those files are WMA files and the rest are .mp3 files. It says on  the Apple ssite that if you have a version of iTunes older than V9, which I do, then all WMA files will be read and played by iTunes. Mine aren't.

Another weird thing is some of those files MP3 files that didn't show up on iTunes....if I clicked on them they would open in ioTunes and be added to the list but ONLY if I clicked on them in File Manager first!

When I plugged in my iPod to sync it, it says it has a different Library on it and did I want to delete that library and download the current one? No...becuase those WMA files that won't play now are on my iPod from the old library! So I know at one time iTunes was reading and playing those files.

Is any of this making sense? I think I remember at one time finding a way in iTunes to convert WMA files to MP3 but I can't find it now.

Ran Ran
on 3/26/11 5:08 am
 Hello there, 

If you know the location of the songs on your computer, then here are simple steps: 
1. Open iTunes. 
2. Open the folder that includes the songs. 
3. Click ctrl and A at the same time on the folder that includes the songs. 
4. with your mouse, drag and drop the songs into iTunes: It will import them all. 

Good luck. 

Deedles
on 3/26/11 7:11 am - Highlands, TX
That will transfer the MP3 files but the WMA files still won't show up.

Deedles
on 3/26/11 7:30 am - Highlands, TX
OK...success!  Thanks Tori and Ranni....I kept thinking it had to be something I was/wasnn't doing since you both described it as so easy! Sure enough, I was trying to do too much at one time!

Anyway...thanks!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 425 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?