Nutrition appts pre-op question

bomoni727
on 3/26/11 8:03 am - MN
 I am curious as to how it went working with your nutritionist/dietitian during the pre-op qualifying phase.  I can understand them wanting to be thorough, but it's really been tough working with mine.  The surgeon has not required a specific amount be lost before surgery but my nutritionist seems to be pushing me to lose weight.  Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for learning how to eat after surgery but it's going to be tough to get her "blessing."  Please someone respond with your experiences with this, thanks and sorry for the long post.
gochristy1971
on 3/26/11 8:29 am - CA
I am still pre-op, as my surgery is Monday.  The role of my nutritionist was to make sure I understood how to eat after surgery.  The surgeon was the final say-so on my go-ahead for surgery.

If your surgeon is not requiring you to lose weight, but your nutritionist is, that will work out; because if you are ready and know how to eat, have them give you a test.  If the surgeon asks the nut why she isn't giving her "blessing" and she says "weight"...then, well, they will work it out if you have proven that you are ready.

I saw my nut once in a group, and once privately.  I was given a test.  We talked....and that was it.
Christy
Weights: Surgery 317 Current 242 GW ???
bomoni727
on 3/26/11 8:46 am - MN
 My surgeon has already deemed me appropriate for the surgery. The nut does want me to demonstrate that I understand the implications of the surgery and how to eat properly post-op.  I was always under the impression that if the surgeon doesn't give the go ahead, then game over.  I had a great appt. with my surgeon and it was actually early on in the process even before I had met with the nut or psychologist.  I just happen to be working with a team that is extremely thorough, but it's also frustrating me a little bit because I want to be cleared by the nut in concert with my surgeon.
dianne220
on 3/26/11 9:55 am - TX
VSG on 10/02/12
Can you talk to your surgeon about it?  Also, my surgeon has a person who does insurance quals only so maybe can ask that person.  I have to have 4 nutrician appointments and 1 dietician.  My 3rd nutrician is 4-4-11.  She just talks and has nutrician paperwork we go over.  She isn't strict at all like yours sounds.  Good luck and I hope she calms down for you!
Jen44
on 3/26/11 10:43 am
My surgery date is May 18th (!!!!!), and so far I've met with the Nut. 3 times, I'll meet with her one more time on my pre-op date.  My BMI is right on the border line for surgery, so I haven't really been able to lose weight, but the Nut has been pretty thorough going over my food diaries to make sure that I'm really working on high fiber foods, high protein foods, cutting out the simple starches and sweets.  I would think that as long as you can show that you know what the restrictions are going to be that would be fine.  I mean, if we could all eat healthy all the time we wouldn't need surgery!

bomoni727
on 3/26/11 11:19 am - MN
 I really do agree with everything that you are saying.  As of 4/11 this will be my third time meeting with the Nut.  As is the case with you, my BMI is also borderline for surgery but so far I have 4 comorbid going on.  It is true she just needs to see evidence of my understanding of what will be required after surgery and beyond and to make sure that I am not just going through the motions just to get approved.  This is a very thorough team that I am working with and they are leaving no stone unturned to assure as much as possible my success.  The insurance person on the team is very comfident that I will be approved and will be looking at a surgery date of late July or early August.  I am not looking forward to a long summer of jumping through so many hoops but in my mind I've had to just put everything in proper perspective, look at the big picture, and keep health in the forefront of my overall goal.
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 537 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 275 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics