Really need advice/help/experiences ASAP.,..serious

alljemms
on 3/27/11 3:33 am

Hi everyone...I have not posted in probably close to a month but I need help with anyone that is going through what I am about to say.

Before my surgery I was on paxil 20 mg.....but AFTER my surgery from what I have heard it can not work as well or you can just have a lot of mood swings because of the whole thing. Well I did....big time...big time.

So my Dr. figured paxil stopped working for me and put me on Cymbalta and this just recently has started making me feel worse.....like wayyyyyy depressed....no motiviation.....smells bother me....very unfocused.

Has anyone else dealt with antidepressant problems after surgery???

I am calling my Dr. first thing tomorrow AM.

Lady Lithia
on 3/27/11 3:37 am
I have no knowlege of antidepressants but wanted to givve you a (HUG) anyway!

Hope you find something that works for you.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

alljemms
on 3/27/11 3:43 am
Ohhhh Lady....what a lady you are :)  Thank you and I needed that. I feel so awful and like I am going to lose my mind. I just need to feel my normal happy self again .....I have however lost 42 pounds! My surgery was January 14th
Lady Lithia
on 3/27/11 3:58 am
Awesome weight loss.... and keep in mind that the least of us who didn't need anti-depressants needed help (or should have gotten some) postop because of the swarming hormones....that might be more the problem than paxil not working..... but it's hard to say.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

samsander
on 3/27/11 4:09 am - CA
I was on Zoloft before and after surgery.

When I stopped crushing it, I notices some old familiar feelings creeping in (i.e., depression).... so after some detective work and help from fellow OH members I found that I needed to continue to cru****

That helped a bit, but ultimately, I need my dose increased and I still cru****

We malabsorb a bit of all we swallow (hence, the double vitamin doses) and I believe that was/is the culprit.

Anti-depressants are a very personal thing.. What works for one may not work for another. Cymbalta did not help me. Prozac did, but it also took away my ability to enjoy sex. Wellbuterin was just OK but it is time released so that didn't help me (it also caused some mild facial tics!!)

Zoloft turned out to best solution... And it is working very, very well.

Good luck... And keep in mind 1. That Cymbalta just might not be for you and 2. You will be better off igf you Dr. can try you on something crushable.

Mary SW 273  CW 158  GW 160

Sara C.
on 3/28/11 7:07 am - Granville, NY
Oh! I think you just solved a mystery for me.  I'm taking Welbutrin and have been experiencing eye ticks for a couple of weeks.  I'm wondering if there's a connection now that I read this.. it's been making me crazy! Thanks :)

sunnydelightinpa
on 3/27/11 4:13 am - Dawson, PA
I don't know about the kind your on. But years ago I used to be on Zoloft and the Dr. told me that it takes a good month to get into your system before u start seeing results. I don't know if thats the case but u could call your Doc and see. Or it could be that your having side effects from it.

Amy L.
on 3/27/11 4:23 am - Buffalo, NY
I've been on Cymbalta for years, and just recently had to increase the dose- remember it is a time released medication, and those don't "time release" for us RNYer's, so now I take one in the morning, and one at bedtime, and I feel much better.  Please call your doctor/psych right away, and get in there for a check up.  You may just need a dose adjustment, another med added to Cymbalta to help it along- like Abilify or Seroquel, or you may need to have labs run- there are a lot of different things that can contribute to your symptoms.  I hope you feel better soon.  :)
  5'5"tall, RNY 11/22/10, HW256  SW252 CW148 SurgeonGW160 MyGW130  5/15/2011 
Met my surgeon's goal weight of 160lbs on 3/30/11! Reached 130lbs on 5/24/11!

CURRENTLY 120LBS, 9/7/11!

siberiancat
on 3/27/11 4:22 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
I was on Cymbalta before surgery and have continued on the same dose for the last 2 years post op.  I did go through a period of mild depression and mood swings around 2-4 months post op, but thought it was from the rapid weight loss, ketosis, surge of hormones from fat loss, etc.  I went to support group, read about cognitive behavior and food addiction and got through that.  No problems since then.

I do take all my vitamins & supplements and a few extra (according to lab results).  Are  you taking B12?  I get 100gm protein and 120+ oz fluid and exercise.  I log my food daily - still - at 2 years out to make sure I get enough protein and calories.

I have made sure to get at least 8 hours sleep a night, and knit every day to relieve stress.

Maybe I'm just fortunate.  Hope you find what works for you.  Best wishes.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

shadoweagle
on 3/27/11 5:44 am - Littleton, CO
I was on Cymbalta before and after surgery.  It stopped working for me and my doctor put my on Emsam.  It is a MAOI which required me to totally get of my antidepressent for 2weeks and then start the new one.  I like the Emsam because it is a patch and not a pill.  It absorbs through the skin and not my pouch.  So far it is working for me.  I would consult your doctor and explore your options.  Good luck and hang in there.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 324 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 375 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 466 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 380 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 324 views