How much do you miss food??

KM724
on 3/25/11 8:36 am
Well, I am still preop, I am actually awaiting approval from insurance as we speak .I have decided to go with the RNY beacause my insurance will only cover that or the lap band and I know that with the lap I wont loose enough. Anyways, as i'm sitting here thinking about my upcomming surgery, i seem to feel very anxious and worried. I just keep thinking to my self that I'm goin to miss the things I love to eat so much. like am I going to get depressed over this after surgery? I dont know why but I just keep thinking to my self that I will of course be that person who has all types of complications afterwards, including not being able to eat certain meats, or a little bit of bread and pasta. I know we are supposed to stay away from those things but they  r some of my favorites and I just want to be able to have then in small moderation. even sweeets every now and then, i would like to have. I just dont wont to never be able to eat them again. I pray that I dont dump but then I feel like I automatically will be one of those who do. I know I'm rambling but did anyone else feel this way before their surgery, if so how did u deal with it??? plz help!!!!!!!!!!!  thanks for listening

Mommy to the 3 most beautiful little boys in the world...... This is all for you guys (:
HW 311  SW 298  CW 255  GW 180

Lori P.
on 3/25/11 8:45 am - Kenosha, WI
I thought about the things I would no longer be able to have prior to surgery.  I tried to have a "food funeral" but has a stupid tummy bug the week prior to surery....so that did not work out.  Some people say that they have no trouble tolerating any foods and they eat small amounts of any of their favorites...me ....not so much. 

I have kept my diet very tight.  No pasta, bread or rice.  I don't eat any crap food like substances (sugars of any kind) because I dump in the most awful way.  I think the things I miss the most are twizzlers and cyclop donuts....how stupid is that!  But it really is not a big deal. 

I did feel a tiny bit bummed out about 3-4 months into this...but that is gone and I really do not care about food so much anymore...it is just fuel.

SW 212 / Goal 130 / Current 130

mandajolyn
on 3/25/11 8:58 am - Tallahassee, FL
The reality is at some point you'll be able to eat your favorite foods again after surgery. I'm a year post op and have a pretty normal diet. I stay away from things that make me sick or things that I know are trigger foods, but over all I'm not that limited with what I can eat. It's important to deal with and work on your attachments to foods, it'll make this journey a lot easier. It's a change in lifestyle! I don't miss the foods I thought I would, my tastes have changed since surgery and I don't feel like I'm deprived. In the beginning It was rough relearning how and what to eat but as time goes on it becomes so much easier but it's still an everyday effort to make the best choices I can to maximize my tool! No body is going to be a perfect post op but we do the best we can and try to get the most out of our WLS! 
"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
You can follow my journey at mandaschange.blogspot.com
pregnancy calendar

auntiekim
on 3/25/11 9:20 am - San Jose, CA
I think that's a common fear. Obviously we all love to eat or we wouldn't be in this position. That fear is what kept me from having the surgery for almost 15 years. But I have to say in all sincerity, **at this point** 3 months out, there really isn't anything that I'm feeling deprived about. Other than carbs which do make me dump, I am eating what I ate before. I seem to have a fairly iron stomach. I also love bread and I will have a few *small* bites every now and then. For me personally, this has not been an issue and I was terrified before surgery that it would be. I know I'm a newbie and things will change, but at this point I feel very differently about food than I did before. Don't get me wrong, I've had fleeting moments of wishing I could have a donut, or a hamburger, or a cupcake...but it passes quickly. Honestly. I hope it turns out to the same for you as well. Best of luck to you
Kim
http://fortyisthenewfabulous.blogspot.com/
Ladycavez
on 3/25/11 9:24 am
I'm nearly 3 weeks post op. My first week was the worst. I was uncomfortable and just wanted comfort foods. I actually woke up the Friday after my surgery and had a meltdown because we generally ordered pizza on Friday nights. I sobbed and sobbed in my husband's arms.

But now, I'm doing much better. I miss my favorite foods so much, but everyday when I look in the mirror, I'm feeling better about what I see. So many little things are becoming easier--washing my feet, shaving my legs, buttoning my bra--just to name a few.

Like others say--it's a lifestyle change--and NO food tastes as good as being thin FEELS!! haha, I'm not thin by any means yet!!

Good luck and lots of prayers!
Carly
busy_blond
on 3/25/11 9:42 am - Tyler, TX
I'm not going to lie, I'd give my right arm to be able to eat half of a papa john's meat lover's pizza. LOL Seriously though, while I'm not hungry I do really miss eating my favorite stuff. However, I'm really excited about my new self, so I guess it's an okay trade off most days.
Leann

poet_kelly
on 3/25/11 9:52 am - OH
I don't miss food at all.  I eat all sorts of good food all the time.

Well, OK, once in a while I miss Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey ice cream, since I dump on sugar.  But I'm generally satisfied with my own homemade protein ice cream.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Rosanette
on 3/25/11 9:56 am
I'm just over 9 months out, and I can eat fairly normally. I don't dump, so I can eat cookies and cakes and all. I wish I dumped  so I could force myself to stay away from those things. As it is I have to do it the old-fashioned way, restraint. But my appetite is smaller, and it is easier to push away from the table. There are things that appealed to me before the surgery that just don't appeal to me now, but I'm okay with that because they don't appeal to me anymore! I used to be able to mix a whole devil's food cake mix batter and get a spoon and a gallon of milk and just eat and drink for, I don't know, maybe an hour. There's no way I could do that now. In fact, as I was typing this, my nephew came in with a cinnamon muffin, fresh out of the oven. I'm full and turned it down without even realizing that it would look good for this post.  Anyway, Try not to worry about it. You will probably develop a more normal set of cravings, and hey, wouldn't that be nice??   All the best, Rosanette

As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we will walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over again the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives. -- Thoreau 

Ladytazz
on 3/25/11 9:56 am
My friend Jim (RIP) used to say that everything has a price tag. You can do whatever you want as long as you are willing to pay the price. You can eat whatever you want to eat. Your price tag may be gaining weight (or not losing it) or getting sick but no one is stopping you. You have pretty much the same price tags now. I don't know about you but I would often eat until I was sick. And of course I gained a lot of weight. But by God I could eat whatever I wanted. I was willing to pay the price.
It will be the same way after surgery. No one is going to stop you from eating whatever you want. Only you can decide if it is worth the weight or getting sick. I wish there was a way to eat whatever I wanted and not suffer any consequences but as of this date there isn't. WLS won't do that for us. All it will do is tip the scales (sorry about that) in our favor a little bit, make us a less hungry and physically able to eat as much and for a time make is so we don't absorb everything we eat. It doesn't change a thing about our thinking.
I mean this in all sincerity but have you spoken with a someone about your feelings? A lot of people have found it to be to our benefit to work out our attachment to food and eating before we have surgery.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

KM724
on 3/25/11 11:31 pm
ladytazz- I do realize that it is def my choice wheter or not to eat those things, but I just wish that there wouldnt be the possibility of me getting sick, but that are the term of this surgery so I know I have to deal with that. I have talked to my DH about my feelings but he tells me that i will just get used to it and forget about it in time..... what does he know, hes 6'6" tall and weighs 180lbs. lol. he has no problem with food, well besides the fact that all he eats is junk food. that doesnt seem to help matters much. But I can't ask him to give up what he loves because he doesnt have trouble with his weight. I have talked to a pschycotherapist 2 times that my surgeon required, but I never really got to discuss those specific feelings with him. Are you able to eatt things you used to love??

Mommy to the 3 most beautiful little boys in the world...... This is all for you guys (:
HW 311  SW 298  CW 255  GW 180

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 364 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 291 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 388 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 480 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views