Sick to my stomach- what did I do wrong?

ceruleanme
on 3/25/11 1:06 pm - CA
 I just started eating soft foods yesterday (surgery was 3/10/11).  This afternoon for lunch I had some greek yogurt (which I've had before and went down fine) and some cottage cheese. I ate maybe 2-3 tablespoons of food in total. 

I stopped eating at my first feeling of fullness. About 20min later I was nauseous. I took a nap, and an hour later I feel really full, maybe even bloated, and still nauseous... It's now 7 hours later, and I still feel awful.

Did I do something wrong? Is there anything I can do to feel better?

Thanks ;-)

Amber J.
on 3/25/11 1:09 pm - Kirkland, WA
 I would love to hear if someone has an answer for this. It's been happening to me for the past few days. I'll eat something that I've had before for lunch with no problem but then a bit later I get seriously nauseous and have to lay down. When I wake up, I still feel like crap. :(

LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers

ceruleanme
on 3/25/11 1:35 pm - CA
 I have some anti-nausea meds but don't feel like I can handle swallowing pills... but I decided to try some ginger tea- it is really bringing me some relief! 
godsend213
on 3/25/11 1:10 pm - Fort Carson, CO
First off, I wish there weren't so many versions of the post op eating plan. My surgery was 3-15 (10 days ago) and I am still on liquids and THEN have to go 2 weeks of purees, then I can start soft. I want texture SO bad! LOL Anyways, from everything I have read or what people tell me at my support group is, if you feel like that after trying a new food then your body just isin't ready for that particular food yet. I would try something else tomorrow and see how you feel, if you feel ok, then you know it was the yogurt or cottage cheese. If you feel sick after yet another kind of food, maybe your just not ready for softs yet. Best of luck to you :) 
Ladytazz
on 3/25/11 1:11 pm
Was there sugar in the greek yogurt? The first time I dumped I didn't know it. I had bought some sugar free Torani syrup that wasn't sugar free after all. I had a little and later I felt sick. I thought it was because I had a shake and it was from air from the blender.
Then next time I had more and I really felt it. I knew it had to be dumping and when I checked the label of the syrup I wasn't surprised at all to find out it wasn't sugar free.
The point is that we can try something one time and be ok and the next time we aren't, maybe because we had more then we did the first time.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

ceruleanme
on 3/25/11 1:28 pm - CA
 There is a small amount of sugar in the greek yogurt, it's the Chobani, non-fat, for whatever it's worth. Now.... I ate this stuff twice yesterday with no trouble at all. Today at lunch I just wanted to add some flavor to my cottage cheese so it was maybe 2 teaspoons of yogurt with 2-3T of low-fat cottage cheese.

godsend213
on 3/25/11 1:13 pm - Fort Carson, CO
Oh and another thing, I have been feeling pretty naseous since my surgery 10 days ago. I have no appetite at all. I just figure this...my body has gone though a MAJOR change and needs time to heal. We are like newborns again learning how to eat and digest. Give it time. You are not very far out of surgery. Take it one day at a time. I did call my doc since feeling so ill and he said it was nornal and it will fade over time.
ceruleanme
on 3/25/11 1:30 pm - CA
 Thanks, I am.... I'm just wondering if I need medical attention, or if this is some version of normal, ya know?
lorilea
on 3/25/11 1:34 pm - MN
I had issues if I had the same thing for more than one meal, it would be fine one meal and not the next.  Make sure you are eating slowly.  I had a real tough time when I started soft foods.  I had also just gone back to work and I think I got sick every day sometimes more than once a day for three weeks.  It could be from gas, I always keep gas-x strips with me whereever I go.  That early out, I was also very careful about having more than one food at a meal, because if I got sick I wouldn't know which food it was that made me sick.  Your NUT will probably tell you have some variety, but that just didn't work for me, and really still doesn't.

And I would also have bouts of nausea where it would basically get worse day by day and then I would take some anti nausea medicine and it would go away for a week and then come back.   My sister had this surgery a year before me so I knew to make sure they sent me home with some anti nausea drugs, if you didn't get any, you may want to ask, if this becomes an ongoing issue.

Good luck

ceruleanme
on 3/25/11 1:38 pm - CA
 Thanks :)  I have anti-nausea drugs... but the liquid phenergen makes me toss my cookies really reliably- and I'm afraid to try the pills right now when I already feel rotten. I suppose it's time to pull the patches back out, but I'd hoped this would pass before the patch started to work (it takes 4 hours or so to kick in)

Thank you :)
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 532 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 514 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 396 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 236 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 328 views