Traveling just after RNY surgery....

Maria Mendes
on 3/27/11 8:57 pm - Canada
 I was told that After my RNY surgery that if I go on a trip I would have to have a doctor's note to have before boarding a plane because of the titanium staples. That they would activate the scanners.  Is this true? Do I have to see my surgeon for that before I go?  
Ladycavez
on 3/27/11 9:09 pm
That's interesting. Before reading your post, I would say the worst thing about traveling afterwards was sitting for long periods of time. It was uncomfortable or me to do so because of my lap incisions and because of overall soreness in my belly.

BUT, I did have to take my step son to board an airplane to see his mom just one week after surgery. I had to go through security to take him to his gate. The scanner kept going off every time I walked through it. I thought it must have been my underwire bra--but I never had problems before--so maybe I had those staples inside!!!
I opted for the TSA patdown because I think the new full body scanners are just an excuse for TSA not to work so hard.

Let me know what happens and have fun traveling! Be safe!
Hugs,
Carly
Maria Mendes
on 3/27/11 9:35 pm - Canada
 I'm not too worried about the sitting it's been 7 weeks since my surgery and by the time i do go its going to be about 10 weeks. I don't have any abdominal pains anymore so i'm good. 

Maybe I should contact my surgeon and ask.....would have to have problems at the border.  My husband went on a trip a few weeks ago and he has a plate on his leg and they gave him a hard time, they had to call a doctor and he also had a sniffing dog sniffing his leg.  LOL. How embarrassing would it be me being hassled at scanners.  better safe than sorry.  :)
skabets112
on 3/27/11 9:34 pm, edited 3/27/11 9:35 pm
I had surgery here in Germany on January 11th, and I traveled to the States on February 16th and thn back. I didn't have a problem either time I went through the scanners. However, I didn't have staples on the inside, just the outside for the first 10 days.

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me"  Phil 4:13

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 563 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 338 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 454 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 368 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 1 replies · 6 views