anyone have a metal clamp left in after surgury?

BIGGIE-SMALLS
on 3/28/11 6:10 am
i recently had an xray done and there was a metal clamp that showed up on it so i was wondering if anyone else has had the same thing happen or if a mistake or what i am going crazy..

poet_kelly
on 3/28/11 6:13 am - OH
As far as I know, it's not common.  I'd ask your surgeon.  Maybe it was necessary for you in your case, but I'd ask.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

BIGGIE-SMALLS
on 3/28/11 6:19 am
thank you for your fast respons, i was woundering because nothing was ever said on here about one being left in that i had seen and when my xray came back i thought well maybe this is why i have always been sick.. but the nurse has been left a message and she will be calling me back thank you
Karly Green
on 3/28/11 6:18 am - Middletown, NJ
That doesn't sound right. IF they did have to leave a clamp in you on purpose I'm pretty sure they would have told you about it.
Definitely call them.

Watch what I eat at myfitnesspal.com username karkar28
BIGGIE-SMALLS
on 3/28/11 6:36 am
this is what i was thinking and nothing was ever told to me so that for this reason nothing would not of came up the nurse called and said well if something was left you wound of been told , besides if something was left you would of been in pain and i told her and always sick she says well ya i told her i have then she says well she needs to see the films some time they might have to use a surgical clamp but she cant say more till she sees the xrays hmm well i will see what she says after they are faxed..

Candy S.
on 3/28/11 6:51 am - Big Spring, TX
If it had been done on purpose you would have had to know in case you ever needed an MRI, those are magnetic and can pull out metal from your body. I have surgical steel in my leg- they had to reconstruct my leg and ankle from an accident. Even though surgical grade steel is not magnetic I still have to let MRI tecs and others know it is in me.

I am wondering if it was metal left in by mistake it may be magnetic metal. It could have been very bad if you had an MRI! Definately follow up and find out what it is. Don't panic- it has been in there for a while and you have dealt with it, but make sure it is taken care of as soon as the surgeon is able to confirm that it should be there, or that it needs to come out!
jokenaround
on 3/28/11 7:07 am
Did you have your gallbladder taken out?  You can see a clamp of some kind where mine was taken out.
BIGGIE-SMALLS
on 3/28/11 7:20 am
ya when i was like 13. i am 3o something now lol they wont be able to say till the doctor gets back on monday.. but that i he had to leave anything in he would of diffantly of told me.. well nothing had been said its a year now and i have always been sick .
hedrider
on 3/28/11 7:22 am - Midlothian, TX
Since your gallbladder was removed you would have about 4-8 clips in the area of your common bile duct and artery that would show up clearly on x-ray.  That would be in your right upper to mid quadrant.
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

BIGGIE-SMALLS
on 3/28/11 7:31 am
this was just one that showed up and i had to do all these test to quility for the surgery and i think maybe something would of showed up and never did this has been sice the weight loss surgery had been done.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 364 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 287 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 388 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 480 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views
Recent Topics