Not a very nice surprise

Bobbie D.
on 3/29/11 3:59 am
Hi everyone,

At my 6 month visit recently, my doctor was not happy with my iron level, and I was already taking 90mg a day plus the 36 in the 2 multis (no calcium with multi). He suggested due to heavy cycles that I see about having an endometrial ablation done.

I saw an OB-GYN on Friday and she did an endometrial biopsy as part of this process and scheduled me for an sonohystogram (special ultrasound) for this morning. During this exam, she found a large cyst on an ovary. It is larger than the ovary itself. She now says that it would be better to have a hysterectomy rather than the ablation. I have a strong family history of cancer and even if this tumor is safe at this time, we don't really want to leave it there.

I know I will get through this and it's good that it was found. I just wasn't expecting this today.

That's my vent for today :)

Lady Lithia
on 3/29/11 4:04 am
*hugs*

Ever since WLS I've been getting a series of large cysts on my ovaries (no issues pre-op).... they operated on one but a month later it was back. I've given up worryign about it for the time being, but I understand your concerns.

If you didn't want any more babies, then a hysterectomy is probably a good idea. If they are going to be removing your ovaries at the same time, make sure they put you on an appropriate regimen of hormones or whatever so you won't have issues (ack, I don't know what I'm talking about, just that there are hormones involved!) 

What type of family history of cancer do you have? My OB/GYN (who I was not fond of and won't go back to) seemed totally unconcerned by my cysts..... even though my mum had Uterine, Cervical, and Colon Cancer.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Bobbie D.
on 3/29/11 5:59 am
Thanks for the hugs :)

I do have a strong family history of various cancers so I have been watched closely since I was young. My mom had breast cancer, sister cervical cancer at 22 (hysterectomy at 27). My mom's sister had a hysterectomy at 16 and I don't know exactly why and she is gone now.

Maybe it's just best to be safe.........

msjkk2020
on 3/29/11 4:07 am - Eufaula, OK
At least they have found this early....I had a total hysterectomy when I was 31 years old, it saved my life......it was also the next best surgery for me aside from my wls....I didn't realize how terrible I felt until I recovered from that... I'll say a little prayer for you.

Bobbie D.
on 3/29/11 5:57 am
Thank you :)

I know it will be better in the end. Especially to maybe be able to get my iron up. My sister had one at 27 and my aunt at 16. I am 41 so I guess I made it pretty far. I do have a strong family history of various cancers. We don't want to leave any unwanted growths anywhere.

Kim M.
on 3/29/11 6:02 am - NC
Hi Bobbie,

Just wanted to mention it's good they found it before the cyst took over your uterus. I know personally about this. I had a cyst on my left ovary before I got pregnant with my daughter and my doctor removed it. When I got pregnant with her I had developed a cyst on my right ovary. I delivered my daughter by c-section, well then the dr checked my ovaries, only to discover they didn't remove the cyst at that time. To say the least, the cyst grew to the size of a large grapefruit. It took over my uterus and two years later I had to have a hysterectomy. I hope everything turns out for the best.
Kim    
Bobbie D.
on 3/29/11 6:06 am
Yikes Kim!! Thanks for your story. I know I'm not the first person to go through this and I am very fortunate for it to be found somewhat early (I have no idea how long it's been there).

I was just a little surprised since I was just trying to have a simple procedure to stop my bleeding. Oh well, so I'll have a bigger procedure and a similar end result.....

Carla M.
on 3/29/11 7:38 am
RNY on 02/21/11 with
I'm glad that they've found this so early. I had so many issues with cysts and endometriosis that I had a complete hysterectomy at the age of 25 in an emergency surgery. I will tell you that you should NOT wait. I went through some of the worst pain in my life and lost a job due to so many absences due to the pain. It was the BEST surgery I've ever had. It's true. You don't know exactly how bad you feel until you are better. I have no regrets and the recovery time was really not so bad.

I do understand with the cancer running in your family. Mine too. It's tough, but necessary.
I wish you all the luck in your decision. I'll be sending prayers and positive energy your way.

Carla M.
on 3/29/11 7:41 am
RNY on 02/21/11 with
Oh yeah! Think about the positives in this situation! All the money you'll save not having to buy feminine hygiene products, no more PMS, no more bloating, it's really awesome if you think about it. You'll get to a point where your friends will be complaining about cramps and whatnot and you can just sit back and smile. It's pretty great. LOL

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 505 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 417 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 118 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?