Sticking with soft foods for as long as possible

Ladycavez
on 3/30/11 5:23 am
Hey everyone,
Hope all is well. This is my 4th week post op. Things are young well, I'm happier than I expected. Before surgery, I felt like I was making a choice between losing weight and food. I was afraid I'd never be able to enjoy food again. But I was wrong, as a matter of fact, my relationship with food has changed drastically.

I guess my point of this post is this: has anyone ever wanted to stay on a soft food diet because they are afraid of the idea of "normal" food?? I just feel like when I allow myself to eat normal things, I will be more tempted to have a few unhealthy French fries, a cup of pasta, or maybe breaded fish or chicken. I'm afraid I will test my limits. But as long as I stay in the mindset of "soft"--there's a limit.

Anyone else feel this way?? I'm perfectly content right now with LF cottage cheese, FF refried beans, eggs, canned chicken, etc. I guess time will tell.

I just need to keep telling myself that I eat to live NOT live to eat.

Hugs,
Carly
Lady Lithia
on 3/30/11 5:26 am
I think a lot of people feel this way, but I also believe that moving on to solid food is an ESSENTIAL part of the process.... you must train your pouch to learn what it is like to process solid dense food....AND you will feel full longer (when your nerves regrow) if you eat dense solid foods.. Soft foods will pass through adn leave you hungrier in the long run.

That said, my surgeon had us on liquids for three weeks, and pureesfor five weeks.

I didn't lose an OUNCE the entire time I was on purees..... but started losing again as soon as I was on solids. Coincidence? I don't know! 

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

(deactivated member)
on 3/30/11 5:28 am - TX
I am a week further out from you and I AM sick of all those things...I still like my Greek yogurt and I am experimenting with the protein shakes, but ready for some variety.

I think you are right - the past week I have been allowed more and its easy to get tempted. I ate salmon, grilled yesterday and had my first throwing up episode. I know its a trial and error method but I hated it - and was just thinking I should go back to soft foods for another week. But today I had my shake, Greek yogurt and bit of soft cooked chicken and veggies and it went down fine. I'm having a smoothie now and the rest of my chicken for dinner and I am completely satisfied.
johnsoca
on 3/30/11 5:40 am - Madison, AL

While you're perfectly content now with a limited diet, like any other diet that severely limits your food choices, eventually you will be sick of it and want to eat other foods. I understand the fear of eating "normally", but remember you simply won't be able to eat like you did before surgery. And if you've accepted and lived with your limits in the soft food phase, you can do it when you get to "normal" foods, too!

Ladycavez
on 3/30/11 6:48 am
You guys (girls) are all right. If I've stayed in my limits with soft foods, I should have confidence in myself that I can do it in the next phase. And I know that I can't eat soft foods forever. There is so emotional baggage that goes hand in hand with WLS. It's way more of an emotional struggle than a physical one!

Thanks for posting!!
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 409 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 404 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?