Iron questions

twincredible
on 3/31/11 11:31 am
My most recent labs show that my iron and ferritin are both dropping, and I am going to double up my iron dose.  I am currently taking Vitalady's Tender Iron (60mg) once a day.  Does anyone know if I can take 2 at once (120mg at one time), or do I need to spread it out throughout the day?   I know that I need to keep it at least 2 hours apart from my calcium doses, so it would be easier to be able to take the iron together.

If I am able to take them together, I am also wondering if taking them together or apart would better as far as constipation goes.  I already struggle with severe constipation and am concerned about what is going to happen when I double the dose.  (I just placed an order on Amazon for a 2 pack of Miralax in preparation for what is to come!!!)

Thanks so much and I hope everyone is having a good evening!
Melissa
HW 320/SW 280/CW 149.5 /GW 145

poet_kelly
on 3/31/11 12:23 pm - OH
Yeah, you can take two together.

It's unusual for that iron to cause constipation.  Is it possible it's being caused by something else?

If the constipation is due to the iron and is really bad, you might wanna try heme iron instead.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

twincredible
on 3/31/11 12:32 pm
Thanks, Kelly!  I am not sure what is causing the constipation, but I was told that the iron could be the culprit.  It is good to know that kind does't typically cause constipation, though.....since I bought a big bottle of 400!  Even doubling up, I have a six month supply!

Another friend suggested the heme iron, so I may give that a try, too.
Melissa

poet_kelly
on 3/31/11 12:35 pm - OH
The reason that type of iron, carbonyl, doesn't normally cause constipation is because it's all elemental iron.  Ferrous sulfate, on the other hand, contains a bunch of iron salts and that's what causes the constipation.

Heme iron is pretty costly, but does get your iron and ferritin up fast and is even less likely to cause constipation.  Plus you can take it with your calcium.

You  might wanna try probiotics to help with the constipation.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

twincredible
on 3/31/11 9:55 pm
More good info, Kelly.  Thanks.  I do already take probiotics every day and if I happen to miss one, I can absolutely tell.  For now, two doses of Miralax a day is keeping things moving, and if the iron I am already taking doesn't contribute to the constipation, then I think I will try doubling that before trying the heme.   (Especially since I have so much of it already!)

By the way....I love the quote in your signature. 
Melissa