Munchies!!

Ladycavez
on 3/31/11 12:07 pm
I don't know why, but I'm hungry....and feel like munching on something. I've tried drinking. I've ruled out emotional hunger.
Help!
twincredible
on 3/31/11 12:28 pm
Do you feel like munching, or are you hungry?  It can be so hard to tell the difference, especially this early out in your journey.

Great job starting out with liquids, and checking in with yourself to see if it is emotional. Those are fantastic habits to get into and will often help you stop yourself from eating when you don't need to.

Now, to figure out what is actually going on, I would think about how long it has been since you last ate and if it more than 4-5 hours (for some it is more like 3-4) then you may actually be hungry.  If so, choose something that fits in  your plan, and something that you are ok with eating.  Make a mindful choice and eat something that will provide fuel and nutrients for your body.  What you want to avoid is mindless eating of empty calories.

If it hasn't been that long since you ate, check and see how much protein you got in today.  Maybe you need a few grams more?  Would a low-cal protein shake help with that?  Would it be a good idea to eat something, like a cheese stick, to get a few more grams?

If that's not it....then I would consider that you just feel like munching for another reason.  I know that for me, I got the munchies really early out because I was used to munching while I watched TV, surfed the internet, talked on the phone, etc.  I ate straight through so much of each day, that sometimes I would get the munchies just out of wanting to eat because that's what I was used to doing. 

Since my surgery, I have made a concious decision to not eat that way.  I have made that choice again and again and again.....and I will make it a million more times, I am sure.  I will not eat unless my body needs fuel, and I will keep that thought, of food as fuel for my body, in the forefront of my mind as I make choices about what to eat.  That is what works for me.

Other folks, though, are able to eat all sorts of things in moderation.  Lots of people here on the board choose to eat some food that is just about pure pleasure and does not provide nutrients or fuel.  Those folks seem to be able to practice moderation and eat a reasonable amount of certain foods.  Personally, I am still hesistant to try to eat that way.  I am comfortable with my strict rules and am enjoying feeling in control, so I don't tempt fate that way.

Whatever you choose to do, do it mindfully and carefully and you will be fine!
Melissa
HW 320/SW 280/CW 149.5 /GW 145

Ladycavez
on 3/31/11 12:38 pm
Melissa,
I decided on a scrambled egg with a small amount of shredded cheese. Not really a munch type food, but it hit the spot.

I'm not going o even try it, but I'd love to have a plate of spaghetti!! With bread sticks!!!! I think I'm starting to miss carbs. I need to refocus tomorrow and not let my mind wander to the old days.

Thanks so much for replying. I needed some moral support.

Hugs,
Carly

PS. I see our dr in June--are you local enough that you may want to get together for a cup of soup or something??
Bonnie C.
on 3/31/11 11:55 pm - Miami, FL
A GREAT substitute for the spaghetti craving is Spaghetti squash with your favorite marinara sauce.  Breadsticks I'd avoid.  I do have a yummy recipe on my blog for Garlic Soy Biscuits, which are low carb and high protein.  Just remember to eat these things only when you are allowed by your surgeons diet.

Good Luck!   :)
Check out my blog for recipes and more
@
Bye Bye Pounds
HW-310/SW-292/CW-182/GW-160

cupcake81
on 3/31/11 1:05 pm - CA
I had my surgery the day after you and I've been feeling the same way, I've had my protien and I've drank my water but I still feel hungry! The dr said dont snack but only two 4 oz or less meals and a shake dont seem to cut it. I try sugar free Popsicles and sometimes that helps! But I reaallllllly want to bite into something it feels like I haven't used my teeth in 3 weeks! So you're not alone! I just keep telling I'm almost to the next stage, this is all to help me heal properly!
chefsmom1
on 3/31/11 1:06 pm - MO
Sometimes you just miss that crunchy chew sensation. I know I would kill for a steak but know I cannot eat the meat yet at 7 weeks out. There are great bariatric cook books now with recipes to fill your every eating craving. Good luck.
On my way.............    
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 424 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 294 views