quick hair loss question

kristine V.
on 4/7/11 6:07 am - FL
so the real hair loss has begun for me and i've had a few internal freak outs about it since a family member made a comment about my hair looking thinner. my question is, how long did it last for those of you that experienced it? i get 60+ grams of protein on a daily basis with two shakes and greek yogurt in addition to the meats/eggs/cheeses i eat so i'm assuming my loss is due to the anesthesia. i've always been a shedder because of my thick, curly hair so i'm used to small amounts of hair loss but i'd just like to know when the normal, expected loss usually ends so i can look forward to that.
  starting weight: 343 current weight: 273 goal weight: 143
jillbhappy
on 4/7/11 6:20 am - Oceanside, CA

It sucks doesn't it. Mine lasted a full 8 or 9 months it is finally starting to come back in so I have this little wispies around my head (if I pull it back it looks like I have a halo),. I just keep telling myself its a small price to pay.  Keep up the protein and Vits girl

Jill
Surgery date 2/8/10
Start weight 264

Nothing Great Was Ever Achieved Without Enthusiasm!     
kristine V.
on 4/7/11 6:23 am - FL
oh wow, that's a long time! i'm just making sure to include biotin with my vitamins so i can at least have the comfort of knowing i'm taking something that helps the regrowth
jazzycatz
on 4/7/11 6:24 am - Joppa, MD

I believe it is different for many, but for me it  lasted about 3 months.  For the last month it has really slowed down.  Actually, I really think I am not losing anymore hair per day than I did before (I too was a shedder) but I just can't be sure.  I have regrowth now.  Getting my hair cut to chin length helped to make the loss less noticeable.  And biotin won't stop the loss but it does seem to help with regrowth and my nails look really good now too. 

kristine V.
on 4/7/11 7:53 am - FL
yeah, i know biotin doesn't help with it but at least it'll help when it comes to growing it back! i'm strongly considering cutting my hair right now, i'm just not sure
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/7/11 7:39 am - OH
I lost more hair than most (about half my total hair volume, but it was overall thinning, NOT any bald spots) and mine lasted 4.5 months.  The shedding hit a "high point", and just about the time I was seriously worried about how much thinner it would get at that rate, the hair loss stopped fairly suddenly.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

kristine V.
on 4/7/11 7:55 am - FL
it's the worst whenever i wash my hair, i guess because i have really curly hair and i can't exactly bru**** every single day (most stylists don't recommend brushing it at all) so when i do wa**** it's a little knotty and i'm sure that doesn't help matters so i might have to look into straightening it more often
plum21
on 4/7/11 7:51 am - Miami, FL
 Hey, de la Cruz was my doctor, too. He's terrific. I started losing hair in the third month and it kept going until the 7th month. It's growing back. I have long hair, and although it's much thinner, I'm glad I didn't cut it. It's getting thicker again now. Eat LOTS of protein.

kristine V.
on 4/7/11 7:56 am - FL
i love him! i wanted to get my surgery with him for three years now so i'm glad it finally happened. my hair is long and really thick so most people don't notice the loss but i definitely notice it and i just really want to have an idea of how long it'll last
CarolineM
on 4/7/11 9:45 am
 I started noticing hair loss at about 3 months, it stopped at about 7 months, and now, at 11 months, I have tons of new growth. Little wispies all over my head, that look like a halo around my head, like someone else said.

All the short hairs are making my hair look really pouffy, which is not a look I like, but it's better than thinning hair, I guess.

Caroline

HW 400   SW 355    CW 178   GW 180           5'10"

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 538 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 411 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 277 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?