anyone who did all liquid diet pre-op

crystal W.
on 4/6/11 10:29 am - east liverpool, OH
please let me know what you used.  I was going to try the master cleanse with the lemons, maple syrup and cayenne pepper, but,  I didn't get grade b syrup, I got bottled juice instead of fresh lemons, and iodized sea salt.  Apparently, these are all no-no's, so I thought maybe I would just try to do all protein shakes. 

I put a scoop of unflavored protein powder in 8oz of fat free chicken broth with cayenne pepper, garlic and onion powder and celery flakes and drank that for dinner.  I usually have a mocha protein shake for breakfast and I figure if I keep drinking the broth for lunch and dinner that I might be able to lose some significant weight quickly.

Can anyone offer any other suggestions/advice?

Thanks

Crystal
ladyquenn
on 4/6/11 10:32 am - WV
I used the slim fast shakes, soups, broths, jello and puddings. My doctor didn't require it but the NUT and my therapist said that if I did it before surgery it would make the liquids after, when I have no choice, easier. After talking to other people I think they were right. I didn't have any major cravings that I couldn't control.

One day before surgery I switched to only clear liquids, broth, jello, 1/2 strength apple juice.
Teddi J
We have just enough religion to make us hate,
but not enough to make us love one another. ~Jonathan Swift                    
Kenyatta W.
on 4/6/11 10:41 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 01/07/13
Hello...

I have to do a full liquid diet with four high protein slim fast shakes or four myoplex lite with plenty of water and if I feel faint, raw veggies for to weeks.

~Kenyatta"....Nothing never changes itself, Unless YOU make it...."

HW: 305 SW: 272 CW: 150  GW: 150

BMI Finally in Over Weight range..... ECSTATIC!!!!!

crystal W.
on 4/6/11 10:53 am - east liverpool, OH
Hi,

Thanks, I hope it works for you!
nfarris79
on 4/6/11 11:02 am - Germantown, MD
 Protein and Patience. That's the only way I've gotten to day 9 without murdering someone for their bucket of KFC. Drink water all the time. Lots of protein. S/F/ ice pops for when you need to chew.
THe spices added to chicken broth sound like a REALLY good idea.

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

DavidReed
on 4/6/11 11:18 am
 Some of the suggestions I saw here were gross.  I'm glad I didn't do those!

I had a four-week liquid diet (2-pre, 2-post).  I drank primarily EAS Whey Protein (chocolate flavor), with skim milk.  Very good.  Almost like chocolate milk.  Combined that with a fair amount of Chobani greek yogurt, and cheddar cheese soup.  

I can recommend the EAS whey protein.  It still tastes good to me...

-David
"Hello, my name is David, and I am a nutritional over-achiever..."

crystal W.
on 4/6/11 12:07 pm - east liverpool, OH
Thanks everyone!  I just really want to submit to my ins co this month and will try anything to lose enough to make the bariatric nurse confident that it won't be denied.

I probably will do much better with the soups and shakes than just with the cleanse. 

ms_esquivel
on 4/6/11 12:09 pm
I had three weeks liquid pre-op.
Sugar free jello, sugar free popscicles, broth, and Advantage Carb Control Drinks from WalMart. Oh wow I am almost 2 years out and I can still remember the nights I went to bed crying cause I wanted to eat!!
ssciolino
on 4/6/11 12:45 pm - Webster, NY
My doc has his patients drink 4 cans of low carb Slim Fast for the 5 days prior to surgery.  Wasn't so bad.  But I wished I had drank more water..I felt a little weak and dehydrated the morning of surgery (of course, the dreaded bowel prep did help matters!)  Good luck and keep in touch, Stella
  "Life is a succession of lessons which much be lived to be understood"  Helen Keller      
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 519 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 402 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 258 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics