Feedback on my food intake

jnt_179
on 4/6/11 11:48 pm
I would like some feedback on my meal plans. I am 9months out and I want to make sure that I am still on the right track. I realize that the weight loss does slow down so I would like to know if there is anything that ya'll would do different. I am also working out 4 days a week (started the c25k program) What can I do to improve?

Yesterday:
Breakfast: Carbmaster Yogurt w/ 1/2scp vanilla protein powder and 1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean Crunch
Snack: EAS Advant RTD Chocolate Protein Shake
Lunch: Turkey Taco meat with colby jack shredded cheese, sour cream, and salsa
Dinner: Turkey Taco meat with colby jack shredded cheese, sour cream, and salsa

Totals:
Calories: 986
Carbs: 36g
Fat: 52g
Protein: 103g

Today:
Breakfast: Carbmaster Yogurt w/ 1/2scp vanilla protein powder and 1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean Crunch
Snack: 1oz Matador Beef Jerky
Lunch: Carving board chicken (Oscar Meyer), swiss cheese, and tomatoes tossed in a cucumber    cream cheese dip
Snack: EAS Advant RTD Chocolate Protein Shake
Dinner: Turkey Taco meat with colby jack shredded cheese, sour cream, and salsa

Totals:
Calories: 1081
Carbs: 51g
Fat: 54g
Protein: 110g

HW:345lbs/SW:319lbs/CW:210lbs/GW:170lbs

Baltimorebabe813
on 4/7/11 12:00 am - Nottingham, MD

This meal plan look very similar to what I was eating at 9 months out, except for one thing... the carbs.  My NUT wanted me to progressively increase my carbs and to be honest, I still struggle with this some days because I am easily filled up with the lean dense protein that I eat.  At 9 months out she wanted me eating at least 75 carbs per day, and by 1 year out at least 100 (and it will stay here for life). Try to add in more fruits, veggies, and some whole grains.  I adjusted my meal plan, since I was getting my protein from my three meals, I made my 2 snacks more carbs "heavy", would eat things like fresh fruit salad, cucumber slices, whole grain toast etc.

I am a runner and did the C25K program as well, so you want to make sure that you body is getting enough carbs to work efficiently.

jnt_179
on 4/7/11 1:20 am
Thanks for the input. I am almost scared to start adding in carbs again. That has been a slippery slope with me throughout this journey. I go through spells where I am a bit more carby and it is usually ends up around 100g but I have been concentrating on keeping them out of my diet as much as possible.

HW:345lbs/SW:319lbs/CW:210lbs/GW:170lbs

Baltimorebabe813
on 4/7/11 6:07 am - Nottingham, MD
I understand your fears... the slippery slope carbs for me are what I call "snacky" items.  Granola bars, organic fruit snacks, etc.  These items I have to keep in check and really limit them because it is easy to go overboard on them.  I have found thought that "good" carbs from fresh fruit & veggies, and whole grains, don't seem to have that slippery slope effect on me (but everyone is different).  I can keep them in check and eat appropriate portions while attaining my overall nutritional goals.  Also, when you take a look at the labels (and food lists) those food that which are typically considered "good" carbs are relatively lower in carbs than the snack type items based on the amount you get (i.e. one pack of annie's organic fruit snacks has 18g of carbs, which is the same as 20 grapes... and personally I get much fuller on 20 grapes, then on one small pack of fruit snacks).

Talk with the NUT from your team and see what they suggest, I just know that when I started running I got very fatigued, and my NUT suggested that it was because I wasn't getting enough carbs for the amount of exercise that I was doing (at the time I started running I was only getting in about 40-50g carb per day).

For a reference I went back to my food logs when I was nine months out (post NUT suggestion to increase carbs) and here was a typical day:

Breakfast: 3 egg whites with 3 slices of pepper jack cheese
Morning snack: 20 grapes
Lunch: Purdue short cuts grilled chicken 3 oz, 1/2 cup of low fat broccoli and cheese soup with 1.5 ounces of reduced fat shredded cheese
Afternoon snack: Banana (1/2 medium), & 20 grapes
Dinner: Salmon baked (no oil) 4 oz, fresh steamed green beans 1/2 cup, red skin potatoes roasted (2 baby potatoes)

Totals:
Calories:1052
Carbs:83g
Fat: 40g
Protein: 92g

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 422 views