Vitamins

sho
on 4/8/11 12:26 pm
Ok so I cant stand these Flintstone vitamins any more.  Could someone tell me about the gummy vitamins.  Is it ok to use them.  I have to find something that I can tolerate.  Thanks so much.
ANNI D.
on 4/8/11 12:42 pm
PLEASE, DO NOT take flintstones or gummies anymore!!!! Did your surgeon tell you that, that was o.k.? It isn't. Neither one have sufficient amounts of vitamind that we need to maintain our health. Do you get your vitamin levels checked on a yearly basis? If not I would suggest starting with that. You need at least 200% of what a normal person would need and usually extra B vits, a B-12 supplement, calcium. iron. Two adult Centrum would be o.k. but I really hope that you go and get your vitamin levels checked. I would bet good $ on the fact that you are deficient in your vitamins. Then you can see what you need to work on. You will probably get a boost in energy and feel better in the long run. Flintstones are for children not adults, especially for adults with a malabsorptive procedure like RNY. GOOD LUCK!!! 
I only strive to be, the kind of person my dogs think I am!                               

Of the choices we are given, it's no choice at all....
                                             -Patty Griffin

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/8/11 3:19 pm - OH
Neither children's vitamins nor the gummy vitamins for adults contain anything near what you need post-op!  Centrum makes chewables in regular and silver formulas (just have slight differences, and either is fine).  TWO per day.  There are also chewable multivitamins that are good for WLS folks from Celebrate or Bariatric Advantage if you order online.

You are far enough out that you can probably take non-chewable multivitamins if you cannot find a chewable you can tolerate.  (If you can swallow petite calcium, the vitamins are not much different (and may even be smaller, depending on brand.)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

sho
on 4/8/11 10:33 pm
Thank you all so much!!!  This also answers another question for me, and that is about the petite calcium, I was wonder if that was ok to take because of the amount of vitamin D in them, and if I should stop taking the vitamin D I am taking and just get it from the petite calcium. I do not know how much vitamin D is to much.  I can swallow them just fine.  And I do take a B12, and you are saying that I should be taking more of the Bs beside what I get in the multi vitamin?  So much to learn.  I have been getting my blood work done, I am only five months out, so next check is June 1. 
I love this forum,  good to get all this info from those of you who are farther out and doing good with your progress and health.
Thanks again everyone I knew I could count on you!!!
kandis74
on 4/8/11 4:37 pm - Bakersfield, CA
I've heard horror stories about gummy vitamins. I was told some woman took them after her surgery and a month later she went to her doc complaining of stomach pains and she ended up having another surgery to remove the mass of gummies that had not digested.
I don't really know if this is possible but in my Kaiser class we were told not to take gummies.

Melissalove3
on 4/8/11 10:00 pm - Portland, OR
Get the chewable centrum.. MUCH BETTER CHOICE!!!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 292 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics