XP: Bariatric Plastic Surgeon consult yesterday

siberiancat
on 4/8/11 11:04 pm - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
Dear hubby and I drove 3 1/2 hours yest to Detroit to appt with Dr. Sayeg.  He spoke at Cincinatti OH Conference last summer and I had a mini consult with him there.

I want brachioplasty but wanted input on lower body.

He only keeps people under anesthesia for 6 hours max.  He said I probably had 7# excess skin on thighs and buttocks.

He mentioned he could combine a couple areas but not be able to do them all at once.  He wants to do surgery an acute care  hospital because of my asthma and heart irregularity (even though he has his own surgicenter) and said I would have to stay overnight.

I'm 61 and don't know if I want to go through the lower body lift.  I look good in jeans - just horrible with legs exposed - but don't plan to wear shorts or a bathing suit. (I look fine in capris)

He said arms would be 2 hours, abdominoplasty 2 hours, inner thighs 3 hours and lateral thighs and buttocks 4 hours.

My breasts are hanging and pathetic - but with a bra on - who would know?

I'm considering doing arms and abdomioplasty at the same time as soon as I get medical clearance and they schedule it.  That means if I want lower body lift in the future it would need to be done in 2 separate surgeries.

He suggested I do the arms and inner thighs in one procedure.  Then, do the tummy and lateral thighs and buttocks in the 2nd procedure.  That would make the 3 1/2 ride and weekly trips for post op checks very uncomfortable.

Since I think I can live with covering up thighs and butt (shapewear if I have a close fitting dress) and DH of 43 yrs doesn't give a hoot.

What do you think.  Of course it's all private pay and with a hospital OR and stay that ups the cost.  Should I take my chances - even if I would have to have 3 procedures or just go with arms and tummy and forget the rest???

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

laura_vermont
on 4/8/11 11:14 pm
Obviously this is a very personal thing.  I've had a panniculectomy and I'm very pleased with the results.  I think I want inner/outer thighs next.  I would like to look normal in shorts.  Short sleeves cover much of my arm issue - 3/4 sleeves cover it all.  My "girls" actually bounced back to a look expected of someone over 40 who had 4 kids (nursed 2). 

I say fix what bothers YOU most.  Having all your extremities hurting at once could be a challenge....

High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 4/8/11 11:16 pm
You should do what you are comfortable with. 
I'm 51 and have huge arms.  I will probably need to get them done after I lose weight.
My insurance company will pay for a panni.  I will probably do those two and that's it just like you and keep the rest covered with shapewear as I have no plans for lots of exposure at my age anyway.

Winnie

Dave Chambers
on 4/8/11 11:45 pm - Mira Loma, CA
Sounds like the basic rules Dr. Batra in southern CA uses on his wt loss patients.  He's spoken at several of our support meetings over the past 5 years and won't do procedures that require more than 6 hours of anesthesia.  It appears that arms and thighs are the most difficult procedures to recover from--as it's hard to do anything without walking or moving your arms.  Several members of my support groups have used this surgeon, and their results are very nice.  This surgeon has his own recovery unit, which does save a few hundred dollars over a one nite stay in the hostpital, and this is an option many chose.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

KittenLove
on 4/9/11 8:29 am - Around Knoxville, TN
Hey Girl!

MHO: do what will make the biggest difference to YOU.

I really want my arms done and am saving my pennies...I'm hoping this is my last summer with this crap going on...I still wear sleeveless and have some muscle definition but I see it and want it gone

Didn't get to post but happy 2 years! You look great and nice avi Give the kids sugar!

Be happy. 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 411 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 355 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 404 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 2 replies · 7 views