Lap band or RNY?

ttny007
on 4/9/11 1:38 am - NC
Adjustable Gastric Band on 06/10/11
I have been to 3 seminars and  I see good and bad with both I need to decide which one I will go with, already got all my pre-testing done and my evaluations, insurance will cover both options. I am a grazer as opposed to a volume eater.  My BMI is 36.9, I have health issues.
Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Lindylou1
on 4/9/11 1:49 am, edited 4/9/11 1:51 am - CA
You are asking a question we can not answer for you. I had RNY. Am I very happy about my choice . I could not see myself dealing with the hassle of always adjusting a band. PLus "for me" I heard a lot of negative things about it.
Some are doing fantastic with the band and some are not. On the other hand Some are doing fantastic with RNY and some are not. There are always hurdles. You need to find out pros and cons with both and deside what you are willing to deal with.
I wish there were a crystal ball out there to make it easy. But we have to rely on our own choice. Good Luck..

brwneyz
on 4/9/11 1:52 am
I had RNY instead of the band for the following reasons:
1. If I was going to have surgery it was going to be with the procedure that had a better success rate.
2. I didn't trust myself to have the band adjusted if I was able to eat more than I should.
3. We are military, finding a new surgeon all the time to have it adjusted just isn't in the cards.
4. I didn't want something foreign in my body that could cause infection, or the other complications that come from foreign objects.
5. I know a few people who have had the band, and then about a year later have gone back to have RNY because they were not satisfied with the band. 

Even though I had a stricture I am very happy with my decision.  Good luck!
Wife to Lawrence since July 4, 2003.
Nathan June 16, 2005   Haylee October 7, 2009  
Getting help so I can live long with him and raise them to be the best they can be!                

hoping4june
on 4/9/11 2:09 am - MN
I had LapBand and now a revision to RNY.  I couldn't answer this question for you.  Everyone's experiences with either is so different.  If I had a crystal ball and knew that I was going to have the complications I did...I would have chosen RNY in the first place, Without the complications, it was a great option for me.  Do your research and match your lifestyle to what will work for you.  Good luck on your decision. 
"What the caterpillar thought was the end of life, the butterfly realized was just the beginning!"

TamaraL
on 4/9/11 2:51 am
I had lap band was good like 90% of the time, followed the dietary guidelines, seen a certified dietician, exercised all the time!!!  I had a hard time getting to restriction which means you are full with a small amount of food and you don't need to eat for 4-5 hours.

When you have the lap band it can take months to get to restriction and some people like me never get to restriction.  I now have the bypass and restriction was immediate.

The best thing I can tell you to do is to do your research.  ASk your dr questions.

Are you a total volume eater?? then the band is best for you.

Do you eat junk food, sweets, fried foods then the bypass may be better for you.

You have to learn to not be a grazer and be satisfied with the small amounts you can eat and now go back for more (grazing) with either surgery.

ttny007
on 4/9/11 3:42 am - NC
Adjustable Gastric Band on 06/10/11
Thank you so much everyone has been very helpful.  I will talk to the surgeon on the 18th and then make my final decision.  Will keep everyone posted.

Thanks for all the support
Theresa
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 360 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 387 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 222 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 479 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?