Considering RNY....

Jeanie B.
on 4/8/11 1:22 am - TX

I am considering RNY WLS. Insurance approval isn't a factor.

I was wondering if anyone had any advise, gripes, praise, ect about this particular wls?

Any words of wisdom are appreciated!!

Jeanie B

soldierzgirl36
on 4/8/11 1:28 am - WA
The RNY definitely forces u to be diciplined. I wish I had the sleeve to avoid the sick tummy but I had the RNY. Lost 23 lbs in a month in my first month that is. Not sure if u lose that fast with the sleeve.

SOLDIERZGIRL

Jeanie B.
on 4/8/11 4:29 am - TX
WOW, congrats on the great start. I hope the rest of your journey is as fast!!

Jeanie B

DCGirl26
on 4/8/11 1:39 am - London, UK
Three years out RNY. Lost 150 pounds in the first year and have sinced regained 20 by returning to some bad habits but I'm back on track and losing again and it is a lot easier with WLS to stay on track although totally possible to eat around the surgery and end up right back where you started.

I would have the surgery again, as I haven't had any complications to this point and do feel so much better physically and emotionally, however - this thing is not a cure and you will still struggle with your old demons. My advice if you decide on the surgery is do not simply think of it as a weight loss fix - whatever it is that makes you overeat now will still be around after the first year when you literally can't eat and the weight flies off.

I wouldn't discourage or encourage anyone either way as I think it's a very personal and individual choice but I can say that whatever you do, work on the emotional component of overeating just as much as the physical. It's easy to get caught up in the newbie surgery love just be very educated on all aspects of the surgery - the good, the bad, and the ugly and make your decision based on what's best for you, along with the counsel of family who love and support you and doctors who know your situation.

All the best in whatever you decide :)

Stephanie

Back on track as of 11/1/2014

341/183/263/150
HW/LW/CW/GW

Weight loss goal:
Back to Onederland by 3/26/2015

Jeanie B.
on 4/8/11 4:33 am - TX
Thanks for the feedback. I am determined to make this work. I just needed to hear it from real people, that have faced the same issues I have.

Jeanie B

nomoresugar
on 4/8/11 2:57 am

read everything here, there a hundreds of posts about good and bad points of RNY.  the more you know, the better prepared you will be.  The process still requires that you have discipline to make good choices, controlled portions and plenty of water.

Try finding an information seminar in your area.  they will provide answers to many of your questions.  Not every program has good post of support, so watch for that.

Jeanie B.
on 4/8/11 4:32 am - TX
Thanks, I have already signed up for a seminar on the 14th. I am just trying to get a point of view from real people that have had the surgery. I know that my journey will be a long and difficult one. I am determined to do this and make it work.

Jeanie B

Lorrainecma
on 4/8/11 5:49 am
I think RNY was the right choice for me, but I also feel like you should know ALL of your options. Be sure to look at all of them including DS, sleeve,along with RNY. I have the fobi pouch which is very much like RNY, but you also have a silastic ring at the bottom of your new pouch to keep the stoma from stretching.

Try going to the main forum where ppl come from all surgeries. Post your question there, and you will get responses from all types of surgeries.

Good luck!!
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 516 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 397 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 250 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views