well guess its time to find a counsler....

lee12197
on 4/12/11 11:45 pm
RNY on 02/28/11 with

Last night i was watching additicted to food on OWN, i realized that before surgery i was tanni...i would eat even when i wasnt hungry just bc i wanted something and half the time i would start eating it and it wouldnt even taste very good...but i ate it anyway! Since surgery i have kinda done a total 180...the first month or so i did pretty good made sure i ate like i was supposed to...but the past two weeks have been horible and i have been useing the excuse that i dont feel good...which i dont but i know its still unaccaptable...I realized last night at ten pm that the only thing i had eaten all day was half a luna bar and about 3 ozs of yogurt. And of course 2 protein shakes and my liquids...I think lately my biggest issue is the things i was going to the past month are not working so well anymore...i was living on tuna fish and eggs b.c my pouch was happy with them and they were a good source of protein however lately 2 bites of either and im not a happy camper...Im kinda lost at this point and really need to find a good counsler b.c im determined to use this tool to the max. Does anyone in upstate ny near binghamton/cooperstown know of any good counslers?

Sara H.
on 4/13/11 12:08 am - Champaign, IL
I watched that show last night as well. I was horrified to realize that I had MANY of the same issues that they had. It was even scarier knowing that two of the people on there had weight loss surgery and were right back where they started or worse. Scared the pee outta me. I'm scared to death that I'm slipping back into old habits, too. I've tried counseling....just haven't found a good fit with a counselor yet. My last one supposedly specialized in eating disorders but I think she had some issues of her own and when I had to cancel two sessions, she acted like she was mad at me and things were never the same after that. I'm so over the drama. So I told her I wouldn't be coming back.

Hope you find someone you can work well with!

Sara

Alice P.
on 4/13/11 12:18 am
I think counseling is a great idea- I started seeing one in February who specializes in weight management issues.  You might try posting on your state board or posting in the heading on this board the area you are looking for.
 HW 278 SW 259 GW 170 CW 142 Ht 5ft 6

psworker
on 4/13/11 12:26 am
At our support group last week we had a speaker who counsels RNY patients, and had also lost over 100 lbs himself after undergoing RNY. It was really interesting to hear about his food issues from the perspective of a psychologist who studied the mental/emotional aspects of his own obesity and won the battle. I know he accepts referrals from our surgeon's office, so maybe your Doc would have a good list of folks who specialize in your area?  Jenny
lee12197
on 4/13/11 12:41 am
RNY on 02/28/11 with

I could call my surgeon but they are about an hr and a half away from me and all the counslers they would give me are in the same area....im going to try callin the hospital in cooperstown they do the surgery so they should have counslers...

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/13/11 12:52 am - OH
If you go to the Psychology Today website, it has a "find a therapist" link where you can search on therapists by location (city/state or by zip code or county), and then you can pull up the individual profiles to read what the counselors say about themselevs and their approach (to get a feel for personality) and to see if someone lists eating disorders as an area of specialty (and if they list your insurance, if your insurance covers counseling).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

navymom13760
on 4/13/11 12:55 am - Endicott, NY
I live in the Binghamton area.  I see Mickey McCabe.  She's an addition counselor at Southern Tier Surgical Clinic.  She is EXCELLENT.  You are welcome to come to our support groups.  If you go to the website you will see the meeting dates & times.  We have AWSOME groups.

My DH is going to the same surgeon (we have different insurances) and he goes to the support groups with me.  All are welcome.

If you would like to contact me directly I am willing to give you my cell # or office #.  Let me know.

I am perfectly content being perfectly UN-perfect

Start Weight 292/Surgical Weight 266/Current Weight 150

lee12197
on 4/13/11 1:08 am
RNY on 02/28/11 with
Lora-Thanks for the tip!! I found a bunch near me so now its just a matter of deciding which one!

Navymom-Im looking at the site now and would really like to go to the support groups but it says they are only for current program participants...am i lookin in the wrong spot?

navymom13760
on 4/14/11 4:22 am - Endicott, NY
No, ANYONE is welcome to come.  Please feel free to call me at 607-321-9558 or contact Southern Tier Surgical at 607-763-8205.  Love to see you there!

I am perfectly content being perfectly UN-perfect

Start Weight 292/Surgical Weight 266/Current Weight 150

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 535 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 523 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 407 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 265 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?