What do you take for a migraine now??

Sara H.
on 4/15/11 1:20 am - Champaign, IL
I had my first migraine since surgery. Normally I'd take excedrin migraine...which would marginally help...but better than nothing. I don't get migraines often enough to pin them on anything so I don't have prescription medication to treat or prevent them. I get very classic migraines and have since I was probably 11 yrs old. I get an aura....then about a half hour later I get the actual headache. Nausea, light and sound sensitivity, etc. Last night I just took 3 tylenol and tried to sleep. After about an hour of sleep I felt a little better but not much. Now I have the typical day after pain. Coughing, bending over...I just feel like my brain is bruised. LOL.

Long story short...since NSAIDS are out....what do you all take for migraines?? Tylenol doesn't do SQUAT!!!

__Laura__
on 4/15/11 1:35 am
My doc prescribed me Roxicet for my migraines. 
Goodbye 260's, 250's, 240's, 230's, 220's, 210's, 200's... Hello 190's!  

laura_vermont
on 4/15/11 1:44 am
imitrex - I have tabs & nasal spray
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

redbedhead
on 4/15/11 1:58 am - Colorado Springs, CO
I take Prescription Maxalt for my migraines.  Go to the ER And get a shot of pain killer and NAusea Medication.

Anna   
RNY 10/14/08 LBL 6/14/11    135 pounds lost, after bounceback regain.  And I am OK with that.  It enabled me to have double hip double knee replacements in the 9 month periond between Oct 2011 and June 2012.  

Tonya0531
on 4/15/11 2:05 am - Lake, MS
I take Maxalt as well.  It comes in a disolvable form.  Just melts right under your tongue.
Tonya
HW: 274  PreOp Diet: 271  Surgery: APRIL 25, 2011   
LilySlim - (6Jve)
I love my new life!!!
Amy R.
on 4/15/11 4:03 am
I can't do the triptans like Maxalt and Imitrex anymore - I use Fiorinal with Codeine most of the time... if it gets unbearable, my old standby is percocet and valium. (kind of puts you out of commission for awhile, but hey - I figure I'm out of commission anyway with the pain and other fun stuff so if I get desperate enough those are my go-to's).

Hope you feel better soon. Migraines really bite.
jenni93
on 4/15/11 5:55 am
Did you check with your surgeon or PCP?  Some time ago someone posted on here about severe pain and her surgeon actually told her to take Motrin.  It sounds like your migraines are pretty infrequent if you had your surgery last year and this is your first one.  I don't think you'll get an ulcer from one or two doses of an NSAID, especially if you take it with food.  But do check - obviously it's a call for your doctor to make, not me. 

I had my surgery on Dec. 14 and still waiting for my first post-surgery migraine.  The nurse said maybe I won't get them any more - it happens.  I'm crossing my fingers!
   SW:  285   GW:  155    CW:  143          

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 461 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 435 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 278 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 299 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 122 views