New to forum and have tons of crazy feelings.

Graceful1969
on 4/14/11 4:31 am
Hi, my name is Jaclyn and I am new to this forum.  I am 41 years old, married, three kids, 2 dogs and live in the great Pacific NW.

I am currently in the process of getting insurance approval for my surgery.  I was totally wanting to have the VSG, but my insurance won't cover that, it's too experimental.  So, it's the lap band or RNY for me unless I want to appeal with the insurance.  The lap band seems to complicated and I have heard some bad stories about it.  So that leaves me with RNY.  The whole process of rerouting my instestine freaks me out.  I know that with the RNY, I should typically lose the most weight.  I just need to get over being freaked out.  I am so ready for my life to change for the better. 
I have a couple of questions.....
How long was your recovery?
Did you have any issues with recovery?
What is a typical meal for you now and how often do you eat?
Did you tell everyone that you had the surgery?
Do you have the "dumping" very often?
Did you have any problems with Malabsorption (sp)?

Thanks in advance for your help and support.
laura_vermont
on 4/14/11 5:00 am
Hi!  I'm Laura - 41yo, 4 kids, 2 dogs & a cat.....

How long was your recovery?  I was speedy.  Surgery on Wed. - back to work on Monday.  Did have some issues with fatique for a few months though.

Did you have any issues with recovery?  None.

What is a typical meal for you now and how often do you eat?  Breakfast I usually have a protein bar at my desk (I don't like eating too early anymore).  Lunch - today I had quiche, most days I have 1/2 sandwich or a nutrisystem vegetarian chili (buy them at big lots for $1 and there's 19 grams of protein in a small serving).  Dinner - my protein (fish or vegetarian protein) with a small serving of starch & veggies.  I usually snack twice a day.... a piece of fruit, cheese, or sugar free fudgicle.

Did you tell everyone that you had the surgery?  Yup, told everyone!

Do you have the "dumping" very often?  I dump - usually mild - so I avoid obvious high sugar foods.  Have gotten caught off guard a couple times.  Remember only about 30% of us dump. 

Did you have any problems with Malabsorption (sp)?  Not yet...
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

mrkbeatt
on 4/14/11 5:01 am - Glendora, CA
The insurance Say's that vsg is but it not it has been done for awhile now the only thing i can say is to talk with the surgeon about what is best for you.

they don't reroute your intestine they just bypass the first part of intestine by 100cm to 150cm.

my recovery was 6 weeks but you may be able to go back sooner then that

at first i was on just 2oz of protein about 6 time a day for about a week and then started on soft food like cottage cheese 1/2 soft boiled eggs string cheese beans one thing at a time  to see if you can handle it then you just work up to normal food just not as much and 3 meals and 2 snacks a day

yes i told everyone just for them to know when i say no to food that there feelings are not hurt

I only had dumping once but i had blockages a few times that just part of learning how and what you can and can't eat now it is not so much now

malabsorption that is what the surgery is about so you don't absorb all your food

Tessie W.
on 4/14/11 5:01 am
Welcome - you will find a lot of good information here - just keep in mind you and your doc and nutritionist decide what works best for you!!!!

How long was your recovery?  I am only five weeks out, but I have to say at the one month mark I fetl great!  I went back to work after 3 weeks and am glad I took three.

Did you have any issues with recovery?  Lightheadedness was my biggest thing.  Once my diet was adjusted it went away.

What is a typical meal for you now and how often do you eat?  At five weeks I was just moved to soft (but admit I had already crossed over.  My nut just concurred today with the program I came up with that seems to work for me.   
B: 2oz protein and 2oz starch 
S: 1 c skim milk 
L:  2 0z protein, 2 oz veg, 2 oz fruit
S:  10 g of protein
D:  same as lunch
S:  10 g of protein
Bedtime:  1 cup of FF milk

I easily eat 1/2 c of food and as of today can go up to 3/4 c

Did you tell everyone that you had the surgery?  I told everyone - even on facebook

Do you have the "dumping" very often?  never but I have not tested it with anything more than 8g of sugar and don't plan to either.  nThe only time I have thrown up was when I ate too fast/did not chew well enough. Take those words to heart!!!

Did you have any problems with Malabsorption (sp)?  u/k at this point

poet_kelly
on 4/14/11 5:04 am - OH
1.  My pain was gone after about two weeks but I developed very servere pneumonia, a very rare complication, and was ill from that for almost three months.

2.  I eat about a cup of food at a time and eat five or six times a day. 

3.  I tell people I know well and don't discuss my medical history with strangers.

4.  I do not dump often, no.  Only about 30% of people dump at all, and that's only if you eat something high in sugar.  I have dumped a couple times though.

5.  I'm not sure what you mean by problems with malabsorption.  Everyone malabsorbs after RNY.  It's the nature of the surgery.  If you mean have we had nutritional deficiencies due to it, yes, I have, but they are easy to catch if you get the right labs done often enough and easy to correct if you catch them and address them promptly.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

allvalerie
on 4/14/11 6:03 am - Seward, AK
How long was your recovery? Two days in the hospital and within a week I was pretty much back to normal

Did you have any issues with recovery? Nope

What is a typical meal for you now and how often do you eat? 1/2 cup at a time- 3 times a day-sometimes 4 plus a protein shake in the evenings. I eat things like re fried beans and chicken with cheese, Greek yogurt, chili, shrimp, cheese and crackers

Did you tell everyone that you had the surgery? yes- everyone knows

Do you have the "dumping" very often? Never have but I haven't ate a ton of sugar to test if I do or not and don't plan on testing it. I have thrown up a few times but not a big deal.

Did you have any problems with Malabsorption (sp)? No

Valerie

trish419
on 4/14/11 6:05 am
How long was your recovery?  about 1 week
Did you have any issues with recovery? very nausious
What is a typical meal for you now and how often do you eat? small peace of chicken, veggies (no more than palm of hand all together.
Did you tell everyone that you had the surgery? Only people who asked what I'm doing to lose weight
Do you have the "dumping" very often? never have....but I dont pu****
Did you have any problems with Malabsorption (sp)? nothing yet......

It will be over soon and you will be so glad you did it... my thoughts were crazy before surgery.... I had lapband done before and I was ok (revision about 1 month ago), but I like you thought RNY was crazy.... but I would do it again in a heart beat..

psworker
on 4/14/11 6:11 am
Welcome Jaclyn!  Your recovery will somewhat depend on whether you are able to have laproscopic or open RNY. Mine was lap, very easy for Doc to access everything. 3 days in hospital, 2 weeks at home then back to work (mostly desk job with some driving and home visits) Some weakness/dizziness the first weeks, normal surgical pain, nausea for a week or so. Then.............SURGE of energy which I am still riding one year later!

At one year out and 100 lbs lighter I still have little appetite. Have protein latte or bar for breakfast, same at lunch, protein pudding mixed with Miralax for after work snack. Try to get in solid protein like fish, ground beef, cottage cheese, cheese, but don't have much appetite and really have to work to get that in. Vitamins, calcium and fluids are a must, I have been very compliant with those rules.

I told everyone, workmates first, family last. I believe I dump just because i have accidently ingested high sugar items and been very ill and tired. I prefer not to purposely test the dumping issue, why even find out if I can eat junk and get away with it?  I consider malabsorbtion the most wonderful effect of this surgery, it makes me feel as though I finally have the metabolism that naturally slim folks were born with. Best wishes to you with whichever surgery you decide upon.  Jenny T
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/14/11 6:18 am - OH
How long was your recovery?  I was off work 7 weeks, but I had open surgery (one 8-in*****ision) instead of lap surgery (and had an issue with drainage from part of the incision for about 9 weeks.
Did you have any issues with recovery? I had the drainage issue early on and then I developed an incisional hernia and had to have a hernia repair about a year out
What is a typical meal for you now and how often do you eat? I eat 3 meals and 3-4 PROTEIN snacks per day.  A typical meal is a small banana and a cup of yogurt or 2 ounces of cheese for breakfast, lunch might be or the insides of a taco or burrito (or half a container of Wendy's chili with a couple of crackers), and 1/2 a chicken breast and some veggies or fruit for dinner.  Snacks are usually cheese or almonds with some fruit or some whole grain crackers.  But then there are times when dinner is the topping off of 2 slices of pizza...
Did you tell everyone that you had the surgery? Initially, I told my family and close friends and the managers and close friends at work.  Once I was back to work from the surgery I was very open with almost everyone about what I had done.  I had no one be negative about it and most people were very supportive.  The VERY few people that I suspected would not be supportive, I did nto tell personlly... I let them hear it from someone else.
Do you have the "dumping" very often?  I have only dumped 3 times in almost 4 years.
Did you have any problems with Malabsorption (sp)?  my vitamin levels are all fine, and at almost 4 years out, most of the caloric and fat malabsorption is long gone (it only lasts about 12-18 months).

Welcome.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

johnsoca
on 4/14/11 6:22 am - Madison, AL
How long was your recovery? I was in the hospital overnight. I was off pain meds by the 4th day. I could sleep on my side again by the 6th day. I went back to work after 3 weeks, but could have done it at 2 weeks if I'd had to.
Did you have any issues with recovery? No. No nausea, no vomiting, no problems drinking fluids, no problems with food tolerances.  I kept thinking the doc had poked some holes in me, glued them shut and woke me back up.

What is a typical meal for you now and how often do you eat?
Generally I have a protein shake for breakfast. For lunch I have a dense protein (like tuna or chicken) and something dairy like cottage cheese or greek yogurt. On weekends Or I have another protein shake if time is tight. For dinner last night I had about 3oz of medium rare filet migon, about 1/4 cup mixed green salad, about a tablespoon of mashed potatoes, and 1 fried mushroom. I have a snack at mid afternoon which is usually nuts or low-fat cheese.

Did you tell everyone that you had the surgery? I'm very open about my surgery, so my coworkers and friends all knew about it beforehand. I did not tell my 85-year old parents who live in another state about my surgery until afterward because I knew they would worry excessively.

Do you have the "dumping" very often? I don't dump.

Did you have any problems with Malabsorption (sp)? II did have a little post-op anemia, but I added iron to my vitamin regimen and that has resolved itself. My support group leader, who is an RN and an RNY patient has told us the big deficiencies frequently don't start appearing until 2-3 years post-op. My surgeon starts doing labs for deficiencies at the 6-month mark.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 566 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 351 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 457 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 370 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 143 views
Recent Topics