Blood Glucose now 43! Uhhggg!

Toobcherished
on 4/13/11 5:52 am - Henrico, VA
Some of you may remember last week I posted that my Dr. called to alert me that my blood glucose was 65.  I told her I had no symptoms and felt fine.  She prescribed a blood glucose meter and told me to test.   Finally after some probing I got the Dr. to agree that I need to see a Endocronoligist.  Problem now is that  noone can see me till late may.  So far my readings have been fairly good, most below 100 but acceptable.  Until today the lowest was a 69 and the average was 99.  Well today I was out running around and ate a cheeseburger with no bun, and a couple spoonfuls of a baked potatoe.  I know it was carbs but its the only carb I had today!  Breakfast was a boiled egg and bacon and a cup of coffee with splenda.  When I got back to the office I felt shaky (atleast I had warning this time) and decided to test my blood sugar levels.  Low and behold my bg was 43!  I put a call to the doc and she told me to eat something lol.  I asked if there was a way to get into the doc sooner and they said they would check for me.  Do you ladies think I need to be doing anything else until I can get into the Endo, my primary care isnt much help as you can tell lol?  Should I just stick to eating protein and complex carbs until I get in.  I am so confused..... 

After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen and establish you.
1 Peter 5:10

DComstock2010
on 4/13/11 6:12 am - CA
I would call your NUT. He/she may be able to give you better advice but I would just suggest eating regularly (every 3 hours or so) never skip meals and make sure that you have a small amount of complex carbs at each sitting. Also maybe try getting life savers or the glucose tabs to carry on you incase you get a low BS episode while you are out and about.
RNY- 2/18/2011

tawnia49
on 4/13/11 6:50 am
 I am having a similar issue with hypoglycemia.  I am symptomatic with most of my abnormal readings.  Prior to my BG tanking (40-50's) it will go up to the 200's.  For me that is too high and I get very tired and sickly.
So, my PCP reffered me to an endocrinologist, which I won't be able to see untill next month, and a nutritionist.  My clinic closed so I no longeer had a nut.  I saw her 2 weeks ago and she has me doing the following:
1) Do not go longer than 4 hrs without eating, preferably 3 hrs with at least 200 cal per meal,    up  to 400 for a dinner.
2)  she said to balance my food intake with protein and fat along with the carbs, avoid simple carbs.  She suggested at least 8 gms of protein at the minimum with all meals.
3) never eat fruit alone, eat it with a pc of cheese and cracker, too much simple sugar.
4) check BS 1 hr after snacks and 2 hrs after meals and record all readings.

She said it was going to be a trial of sorts to figure out what affects my sugar.  She really feels it is a lack of balancing my food.  She feels it is a good idea to be checked by an endo but most likely it is diet related.  Since I've been following these guidelines more closely, I have not had any episodes.  Good luck! 
Tawnia        
Toobcherished
on 4/13/11 11:14 am - Henrico, VA
Thank you so much I will follow this as well and try to get the insurance company to approve another visit to the nut.  By the way I love the spelling of your name.....my name is the same just spelled.....Tanya  pronounced just like yours!

After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen and establish you.
1 Peter 5:10

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 566 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 351 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 215 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 457 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 373 views