Concern over the number of posts asking how soon certain foods can be eaten

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/17/11 9:20 am, edited 6/20/11 8:09 am - OH
added 6/20/11: After reading various posts over the past week, I think it might be useful to "bump" this...

First of all, those of you who don't know me need to know that my personal approach to post-op eating is one of "all things in moderation".  I will be 4 years out in August.  I was allowed to start soft foods even before I left the hospital after my open RNY, and the only foods that I never eat are the 5 foods that literally make me physically ill.  There are foods that I choose not to eat, but if an occasion arises where I want to eat something that is a less-than-healthy choice, I eat it... I just eat a small amount of it.  So this post is NOT about people choosing to eat "forbiddden" foods.

I am concerned by what seems to me to be a significant increase in the number of posts here asking "how far out do I have to be before I can eat ______ again?".  It is not my intention to single anyone out --  I honestly do not rememebr who wrote what posts and some of the posts may have been on the main forum -- but, in the past week or so, the question has been raised about pizza, ice cream, bread, and pasta. 

The actual answer is that every surgeon's plan is different so only YOUR surgeon can tell you when (s)he "permits" you to eat something particular... and when you choose to eat something, of course, is completely up to you no matter what your surgeon's plan says. Some people are permitted to start soft foods almost right after surgery, so clearly eating something solid when you are supposed to still be on purees will not "break" your pouch.  It might hurt, and it might make you sick, but you will not "ruin" your surgery.  My concern, though, is not about the answer to the question, but about the mindset that accompanies the question.

With RNY, the weight will come off for about a year no matter WHAT you choose to eat.  Your choices may influence how quickly it comes off and how much comes off, but with the intestinal bypass, you WILL lose weight during that first year. The problem is that in 12-18 months, you will lose that malabsorption of calories and fat.  Your pouch will be bigger and you will be able to eat much more than in the few months right after surgery.  The ONLY things you will have available to use to maintain your weight loss is whatever restriction you have with your pouch (as opposed to your old stomach) and your new, healthy eating habits.  If you do not learn those habits during the early stages (and do not address the emotional and psychological issues that contributed to your obesity... but that's anothar post entirely), you will have a much more difficult time avoiding regain.  I can all but guarantee it.  Look at how many people come back here and post that they are 2 or 3 or 4 or 8 years out and have regained some weight... or look at the number of people *****vise to a DS because of regain.

One of the keys to developing the eating habits you will need down the road -- IMO, of course -- is to embrace the limitations on your diet early out and embrace temporarily giving up the old foods and limiting yourself to healthy foods.  Yes, you will be able to eat pizza again... eventually... but doing it at 2 weeks or 6 weeks or 3 months out does not help you embrace a new food lifestyle.  When someone asks "how long before I can have ____?", it is showing the same diet mentality that we all failed at and that kept us all obese.  (Yes, some of the posts are simply asking when others were able to eat something that IS a healthy food choice, but most of them are not.)  In some cases, it appears that the poster is asking for permission to stray from their surgeon's eating plan. 

Yes, it's a drag to give up eating foods you love for a year... or two... but is it worth it in order to get a healthy, non-obese body?  I am not the food police, but I want everyone to be as successful as they can be long-term with their RNY, and I do find it worrisome to see people so anxious to eat the old unhealthy foods (even if it is in a somewhat modified form).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Lady Lithia
on 4/17/11 9:27 am

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Lori P.
on 4/17/11 9:30 am - Kenosha, WI
I also don't get the "when can I eat...." posts.   For me, that would be the quickest way to end up right back where I started....perhaps others can eat the less than good for you stuff and still maintain....I know I am not one of those people. 

I went into this with the idea that I will have to totally and completly change my eating habits.....forever...and I have to look at food in a whole new way.   To do anything else is foolish, a least for me.  The food fest was/is over. 

SW 212 / Goal 130 / Current 130

Lady Lithia
on 4/17/11 9:33 am
I think a lot of people are used to diets that are transitory.... so they're always looking to the end rather than the middle. that translates over to RNY too

I'm such a boring person, that my food choices never really mattered all that much. But I also wasn't a chronic dieter either.

I think it takes time to realize this is a for-life transition.

BUT.... it is essential that we DO make that transition.

(deactivated member)
on 4/17/11 9:34 am - SC
STANDING OVATION!    I'm only 5 days out and I have a very specific list from the hospital/surgeon as to what I can eat and when.  You are absolutely right that only your surgeon/nut can tell you when you it's safe to eat something. 

I've noticed people asking when they can eat foods that are typically triggers.  My question, WHY would you want to eat those again?  I love pizza (not singling anyone out just an example) as much as the next girl, but will I have it until I've dealt with that addiction on an emotional level?  Absolutely not.  Sugar is another trigger for me.  I don't know if I dum*****t.  I don't want to know.  I don't want to test it.  I don't understand why people test this.  Usually (not always) from what I've seen, those that figure out they don't dump end up eating around it and eating the foods that got them into this situation to begin with.  

Sorry for any typos, grammatical and other errors.  I just took a Percocet after lifting 22 pounds that I should of never lifted.
Lady Lithia
on 4/17/11 9:40 am
I have learned to look beyond typos and grammar errors.... particularly because I'm highly dyslexic, and I make so many of them.

Funny thing for me is that I dump, didn't WANT to dump, and DO eat around that too.....not often.... but dumping is no glorious avenue to virtuous eating by itself.

*sigh*

I miss cake and cookies.

(deactivated member)
on 4/17/11 9:44 am - SC
There is a girl I went to highschool with that makes the most beautiful, most divine tasting cakes ever!  She is working on her sugar free versions and sugar free icing.  I'm hoping the sugar alcohols are low and she can hook me up lol.  Then again I hope they taste disgusting .  I love cake.  Cake is my biggest addiction.  Especially Red Velvet cake.  I could see me trying to figure out how to eat it around dumping.  

I'm not sure yet if I dump as I haven't eaten any sugar yet, but I'm sure one day I will find out.  Part of me wants to dump so that sugar just makes me miserable and hopefully I'm less likely to want that trigger food.  I'm working with a therapist (which I recommend for ANY food addict) and we are working on ways for me to cope with my sweets cravings without reaching for cake.  

How are you feeling since you went back to work?
Lady Lithia
on 4/17/11 9:59 am
Oh it's the THOUGHT of the cake I want.... I never really enjoy it when I sneak some in.

Last week was tough, and I took Friday off, but full time this upcoming week. see the Surgeon on Tuesday, see what he says.

tcole20
on 4/17/11 9:41 am
Thank you so much for taking the time to post this! You made some really good points that I needed to hear today!!
Starting Weight: 378
Weight on day of surgery: 365
Current Weight: 195
183 pounds lost!

AddisynsMommy
on 4/17/11 10:04 am - FL
 Bravo!!! I think this was a very much needed post!! I crave things off my list just like the next person but i know that if I advoid all the junk now in a few months it will be nothing but a thing to me! Today I was very proud of myself went to a BBQ and people were there that knew and didnt know i had RNY and they were trying to get me to try this sweet or that and i said no thank you and walked away! I was very worried today about being in the situation of having all the cookies cupcakes etc but in the end it didnt even look appealing to me and i am afraid of dumping!!! but anywho I was OT but great post and I hope all newbies read it!
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 540 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 413 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 277 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics