5 weeks out - anniversary dinner

Joanne M.
on 4/18/11 6:09 am - VA
RNY on 03/16/11 with
So, I have not eaten out at all and kind of looking forward to and and maybe dreading it.  Anniversary dinner tonight.  I've checked out the kiddie menu and they have a Grilled Short Smoked Salmon and I could get mashed potatoes with it or applesauce.  If I mash the salmon, will I be ok.  Do I need to ask that they only add olive oil instead of butter.  Any other suggestions at this point.  Thanks.

Joanne

JENNI-8yrsPostOP
on 4/18/11 6:34 am
If you haven't had fish yet, don't try it while out for dinner. I don't know what you've been on at home, but keep to the same kind of diet. For me when I was a few weeks out I had soup, strained if I wasn't on regular food yet, maybe a bite of mashed potatoes or a cumbled up cracker with the soup. If you're not doing milk and you've become lactors intollerant, make sure the soup isn't a cream based one if you order that. General rule is never try anything new out at a restaurant you've never tried at home. We don't know this early out what it's going to do to us and we don't want to be "foamin" at a restaurant. Be gentle on your new pouch. I had been doing small pieces of ground hamburger cooked and chewed well by 5 weeks ot so I was able to get a kids hamburger patty and eat a bit of that. Check your list from your doc as to what you can have at this point. Many are still on pureed or liquid meals.
Jen 9 yrs post op
Joanne M.
on 4/18/11 6:39 am - VA
RNY on 03/16/11 with

Thanks Jen.  I'm on pureed until May 7th.  I've eaten tilapia but never salmon.  I have not done ground meat except for in Chili on Saturday and that was not great.  Probably too spicy.  I have done the Hormel Turkey chili and don't have a problem wit that.  The soup of the day at this place is crab and corn chowder and corn is a no-no and too creamy.  I'll see if they can switch the salmon for a white fish instead.  Salmon is on the list but you are right that I don't want to try it first at a restaurant.

nomoresugar
on 4/18/11 6:36 am

I would think butter would be fine on the salmon.  Another choice beyond the kids menu is something from the appetizers.  Salmon tends to be dry, so I had a very difficult time eating more than one bite the first time i tried it.  Another option I often use, order what you want and ask for a box at the same time.  take a little to eat and take the rest home.  This works great for many dishes. 

Happy anniversary.

Joanne M.
on 4/18/11 6:42 am - VA
RNY on 03/16/11 with
Thanks Catherine.  Their appetizers all look very fatty.  Good tip on the box :)

hedrider
on 4/18/11 7:25 am - Midlothian, TX
I would try out the salmon somewhere else besides the restaurant, especially since you are so early out.  The rule of thumb is never try anything new away from home.  I would also stay away from the applesauce unless they can verify that it's NSA.

Honestly, I wouldn't risk it and I would try to find something safe.  Maybe not have an anniversary dinner but instead focus on celebrating some other way besides food?
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

mhroxy
on 4/19/11 1:36 am - Wadsworth, OH
We have same surgery date!  I am on a soft foods right now and went out for the first time last weekend. Got grilled shrip and chewed very well. But I had already tried shrimp at home...wouldn't want any nasty surprizes whhile eating out! Good luck.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 292 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics