Your thoughts/experience

merlinda
on 4/19/11 4:43 am
I met with the surgeon yesterday (well, actually the surgeon's "fellow," and he said that I would more than likely stablize at 210 - 220 lbs (with RNY.)  This was unsettling to me, because I've spent most of my life between 240 - 270.  My high weight has been 298, which I've been there twice, and started this journey at 297 (afternoon weight) and am now 280 (or so.)  To stablize at 60 lbs lighter is somewhat discouraging.  When asked what I wanted to weigh, I was conservative and thought stablizing at 190 - 200 lbs would be good.  There is a part of me that wanted to get a little bit lower though.   I am a 42 year old woman at 5'9" tall.  Has your experience been what the "fellow" suggests?  

poet_kelly
on 4/19/11 5:04 am - OH
I wanted a normal BMI and I ended with one.  I think that's doable.  He's basing his number on statistics, I think, and some don't lose as much as they'd like and some, like me, end up below goal.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

laura_vermont
on 4/19/11 5:18 am
I think your dr is being overly conservative.  Your goal sounds very reasonable - and reachable.  People with less to lose often lose slower but if you stick to the eating plan, you should make it to goal.
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

redenallen
on 4/19/11 5:46 am
I started out about where you are at and want to be "normal" too, but feel like I may have stabilized around where your "fellow" has predicted.  I am just over a year out and have been stuck for a while.  I must admit though, the weight loss is awesome despite having not made it to onderland yet.

I am very determined to lose at least a few more pounds even though the weight loss has slowed considerably. 

Don't obsess over numbers.  You will lose how much ever you put into it.  The surgery is not magic so the doctors can only predict what may happen based on the results they have seen.  Set your own goal and work it!

merlinda
on 4/19/11 2:28 pm
Thank you so much for the feedback .... I can already see this is something I am just not going to be able to do alone. 
Katie M.
on 4/20/11 9:18 am - WA
2nd opinion?

Katie

hmmm sounds SUPER conservative
Lady Lithia
on 4/20/11 9:27 am
I had surgery at 293 (max weight 350) and I'm 5'4"

I'm now 150 exactly...... it took a while to get below 185 but I did it

There are a lot of variables. Based on statistics, your surgeon's fellow's goal is likely about what you should expect at miinimum but it's just a number..... so accept that they'll consider you successful if you get and maintain that weight, but nothing keeps you from pushing on

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/20/11 10:00 am - OH
Hey, we're the same weight (well, ok, I'm actually half a pound heavier)!  You're an inch taller, though...

I started out at 332 as highest RECORDED weight...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Lady Lithia
on 4/20/11 10:12 am
My highest UNofficial weight was 350 (though I have pictures that say I wass a LOT more)..... my highest official doctor's office recorded weight was also 332 and all my before pictures are that weight.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/20/11 10:07 am - OH
There are SO many factors that affect weight... age (I had surgery at 45 and will turn 49 the day after my 4-year surgery anniversary in August), your bone structure and muscle mass (enever underestimate how much THOSE have to do with how much you weigh!!), an inherited physical traits (large bottom otr boobs even when NOT overweight), how much you have to lose, how long you were obese, your metabolism.

Basically, even the doctors are taking a somwewhat educated guess.  What's MOST important is how you FEEL, and how healthy you are with the weight off, NOT what the scale or your clothing size tags  (or even your BMI) say.  Unfortunately, most of us focus on the numbers.  Some of us make ourselves half crazy over the numbers and comparisons with others.  
Don't fall into that, because it's a cleverly disguised trap! 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 490 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 456 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 464 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 45 replies · 418 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 117 views
Forum Search Error & 404