Protein Shakes?????

msjkk2020
on 4/19/11 5:35 am - Eufaula, OK
Have a ?????  How long does a protein shake last after mixed up as far as continuing to have the nutrients needed???? Does it break down????

lynnc99
on 4/19/11 5:55 am
Eagerly awaiting replies to this one. I think this may be a WLS "urban legend."
msjkk2020
on 4/19/11 5:58 am - Eufaula, OK
Me too cause I like to put my in the freezer for a few hours and let it get very slushy.....don't like blending it because of the foam....

Cleopatra_Nik
on 4/19/11 6:11 am - Baltimore, MD
Well, if you leave anything out too long it will spoil but protein doesn't cease to be protein by sitting out.

It will, however, separate from the milk. It doesn't blend with the milk so much as it distributes itself throughout your cup so if you let it sit, it will separate from the milk and look pretty nasty, but a blender bottle will help with that. Give it a shake and you're good to go again!

But I personally wouldn't leave out a creamy (milky) shake longer than an hour without refrigerating.
msjkk2020
on 4/19/11 6:22 am - Eufaula, OK
I always refriderate, I actually freeze immediately after mixing......I just didn't want it to lose it's mojo cause I was letting it freeze before drinking.....

poet_kelly
on 4/19/11 6:44 am - OH
No, at least more brands say they don't break down if you call and ask them.  Unjury, Chike, etc, say it's just like the protein in milk doesn't break down.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

mdolan20
on 4/19/11 8:25 am - Brick, NJ
great question! Thanks for the answers. Since I'm one 3 ounces of protein shake 5 times a day right now, it's so much easier to make a big one in the bullet and measure out each time.
Melissa HW:350 SW:333 CW:234 GW:128

Cleopatra_Nik
on 4/19/11 8:42 am - Baltimore, MD
You know you reminded me of something. This poster (I forget which) last year posted about doing that. Making one big shake and drinking it throughout the day. But since she ate such small portions of it she doubled up on protein so that the whole shake equated to her protein goal for the day. So she knew as long as she finished that shake she was ok with protein. Granted it took about 8 sittings to get the thing down but I thought that was clever.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 384 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 426 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 291 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 410 views
Recent Topics