JUST OUT OF CURIOUSITY?!?!?!

megan cruz
on 4/19/11 6:32 am - CO
HELLO OH..LOL...I HAVE TWO QUESTIONS FOR YOU WONDERFUL PPL OUT THERE...MY FIRST QUESTION IS THIS..I AM 5'9 AND WEIGH 346 RIGHT NOW. I HAVE A LARGE SKELETAL STRUCTURE  WHICH MEANS THAT I CANNOT TOUCH MY MIDDLE FINGER TO MY THUMB WHEN I GRASP MY WRIST, ANYWHO..I WAS WONDERING WHAT PPL WOULD RECOMEND AS FAR AS A GOAL WEIGHT AFTER SURGERY..AT 220 MY RIBS POKED OUT WHEN I LAYED DOWN SO THERES NOOO WAY I COULD DO 160 AND LOOK HEALTHY. SO ME AND MY PSYCH EVAL THEREPIST CAME TO A NUMBER OF 190-210..WHAY DO YALL THINK? AND THE SECOND QUESTION IS, WITH LOOSING SO MUCH WEIGHT IM AFFRAID TO LOOSE MY FEMININE CURVES (IE) BOOBS..IM A 44E RIGHT NOW..IF I LOOSE 120 LBS I WONDR WHAT I WOULD B AS FAR AS CUP SIZE WHEN IMET MY GOAL WEIGHT. ANY OPINIONS PLEASE HELP. THANK YOU.
nomoresugar
on 4/19/11 6:44 am
There is just no telling for certain what your bra size will be when you reach goal.  They could shrink and or sag but probably not disappear altogether.  As for ideal weight, start with the therapist recommendation of 190 ish.  You will make a better final decision when you get to that 'temporary' goal.  good luck.
sweetpotato1959
on 4/19/11 7:10 am, edited 4/19/11 7:11 am
   I would set several goals,   One for  two months post-op, and one  for 6 months post-op, then 9 months... I would set a  final goal on the top side of what is recommended.and try to be there no later than 14 months post op.......if you really want to loose more when you get there it will be much easier to do from that point. 200 -210 sounds like a good number  for someone of that height.
      Don't worry about the cup size you will probably loose some, but it will be fat. Be sure to do the bust lifting exercises to strengthen the muscles that support your  chest...and if you lost weight and don't loose  boobs you would have a problem with balancing.....at least that was my Mom's take on it..
       .. I went from needing a 44e.. to actually neeeding a 36d, with 120 lbs of loss.I am on the border between small and medium frame...at a 6" wrist...
       .Be sure to get and keep some bra's that give you adequate support.  
      I would also recommend the usage of  an abdominal support and pelvic and abdominal exercises both pre and post op to strengthen those muscles and prevent hernias  and to  start toning the skin that will be excess.
          My Mom and I both have had  gastric By-pass16+ years ago, with Mom loosing a total of 160 lbs and me about 120, neither of us have had to have  surgery for removal of excess skin, it's just not  enough extra to justify surgery...after talking about it we know several who had  additional surgeries to remove excess skin, and we attribute it ot wearning  abdominal supports/ girdles during our most rapid wt loss.   sweetpotato
Pam T.
on 4/19/11 6:45 am - Saginaw, MI
 I recommend you set a few different weight goals. Using the studies done on WLS patients we know that RNY folks will lose about 50 to 85% of their excess body weight. We know that surgeons consider you a success when you hit the 50% mark, so that's a good place to start. Then you could shoot for the next milestone of about 70%, then 85%, then decide if you need/want to get all the way to 100%. 

So here are the numbers:

At 5'9, your ideal body weight would be about 155lbs. (No, this is not a realistic number, but it's what science uses, so we'll go with it). This would mean you have 191lbs of excess body weight. So let's start running the math...

50% loss = 95.5 pounds = 250.5 weight
70% loss = 134 pounds = 212 weight
85% loss = 162 pounds = 184 weight
100% loss = 191 pounds = 155 weight

The good thing about setting incremental goals like this is that you keep the momentum going for your journey because you keep hitting goals as you go along. PLUS, I'm a firm believer in getting rewards for yourself everytime you hit a big goal. I personally like bling so I buy myself a new charm for my Pandora bracelet everytime I do something amazing. 

HTH
Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Melissalove3
on 4/20/11 6:41 am - Portland, OR
You have plenty of boobage... I wouldn't worry about it too much!   You can be 190-210 and I still think you will be voluptuous up top. just a lot smaller everywhere else.. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/20/11 6:56 am - OH
I think the reply Pam gave you was excellent.  Just FYI, though, for those who are significantly overweight, the wrist and finger/thumb thing is NOT at all reliable for determining bone structure because those who are MO or SMO usually have fat around their wrists as well (but weight does not change the length of your fingers).  It's actually just a very general guideline even for people who are NOT overweight, because many people have differences in bone size from one part of their body to another (my wrist, elbows, shoulders, etc. are fairly small, but the bones in my hips, knees, and ankles are larger)

Chances are pretty good that after you lose the weight, you will find that you CAN (or are much closer ot being able to) touch your middle finger and thumb around your wrist, even if your wrist does not look overly fat.

As far as the boobs go, a number of lost the weight but kept the large breasts (the difference is that now they sag down to our waists!)  Most of the people that I know who still have large breasts also had large breasts BEFORE they gained the weight.  (I was a C-cup by Junior High.  Now I wear a size 10/12 pants but a 12/14 in shirts/dresses because I wear a 36DDD bra ****asionally a 38DD))

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 474 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 440 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 439 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 371 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 103 views
Forum Search Error & 404