where to buy protein/supplements

merlinda
on 4/21/11 1:14 am
Good morning!   I am looking for some suggestions as to where to buy my post surgery supplements while taking in both cost and quality.  I've been to Bariatric Advantage and Celebrate, but was hoping you experienced folks would have some input with regard to cost/quality.  As many folks are, I am on a budget.  

Thanks much!!  
siberiancat
on 4/21/11 2:06 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
My main sources are Bariatric Advantage (autoship), Vitalady , Vitamin Shoppe, and Walmart or drug store.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Pam T.
on 4/21/11 3:16 am - Saginaw, MI
 Here's a post from my blog about where to find samples of protein -- both locally and online. 
http://pamtremble.blogspot.com/2009/04/protein-trying-samples.html

Protein -- Trying Samples

I had to try about four dozen different flavors/brands of protein before I found two or three that worked for me. Imagine if I had bought big jars of protein powder for those 4 dozen samples. I'd be broke! Thankfully I used single-scoop samples of protein and could quickly eliminate the ones I didn't like.

After surgery our tastes buds change. So the flavors of protein that we liked before surgery we might not like after. That's why it isn't really a good idea to test out protein beforehand. In fact, my taste buds changed twice. During the first two weeks after surgery nothing tasted right ... I later found out it was because of the anesthesia in my system, it can give everything a metallic flavor. Then things mellowed out a bit after 2 weeks. But then at the 2 month mark things changed again .. suddenly stuff that I didn't like the taste of was much better. So be patient with your body and expect things to change along the way.
  So where do you get samples?

There are online and local resources ... so do some digging to find as many as you can.

ONLINE SOURCES - here's a list of the most common sources for buying variety packs or individual flavors ... getting several different brands and flavors all in one place.
  • Enjoy Health -- I started my experimentation with the big sampler pack
  • Netrition -- They also have a variety pack of samples
  • Bariatric Eating -- Susan Marie sells individual flavors ala carte or a protein starter kit
  • Vitalady -- Michelle sells individual flavors ala carte
  • Nashua Nutrition -- Many different brands available ala carte
INDIVIDUAL MANUFACTURERS - some companies MAY give free samples or offer them for a nominal fee, but you have to contact each brand individually. Here are a few that I know of: LOCAL SOURCES -- sometimes you just want to have easier access to protein than having to order online. Here are some local sources for getting samples:
  • GNC -- they sell a couple different flavors of their most popular brands. They also sometimes have free samples under the counter, just have to ask.
  • Health Food Stores -- if you've got a large health food store in your area, they may have samples of generic whey or soy protein. Many people say they have found unflavored whey protein in bulk at their health food store.
  • Support Group Members -- ask each member of your support group to bring a scoop of their favorite flavor to share.
  • Body Fortress Protein -- this is the brand I've settled on - not because it is all that much better tasting than anything else - but because it's convenient to pick up at Walmart or Target. And it's cheap. They don't sell samples either. But a whole 2lb jar is only around $15 (about half what others usually run). So I'm listing this here because it's the one big jar of protein that you can buy and try and not be out a lot of money.
So if you are having problems finding a protein powder that tastes good to you, get some samples. And even if a flavor doesn't sound good to you, try it anyway. One of my favorite flavors right after surgery was cookies-n-cream -- which was not something I would have picked pre-op. You never know what will taste good to you after surgery, so try 'em all.

Edited to add: I just found another great list from Miss Mary Mac's blog on finding protein samples. Some of our information overlaps, but she's also got more that I hadn't heard of before. Check out her list here.

~Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Katie M.
on 4/21/11 4:47 am - WA
Premier Protein - shakes and bars - Costco - 30g protein each and super yummy! Good price point as well!

Pure Protein Shakes (can) - YUM! Vitamin Shoppe and Trader Joes - 35g of Protein!

Bralen
on 4/21/11 4:50 am
I buy my protein and most of my vitamins at Wal-Mart. I order my calcium from Vitalady.
Start weight 263     Surgery weight 247  
heygiz00
on 4/21/11 6:43 am
bestpricenutrition.com has the best price on Syntrax Protein, my personal favorite.
Netrition.com
Vitamin Shoppe
Amazon
Walmart
Costco

Live Laugh & Love...Life is too short to settle for less...    
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 762 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 337 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 494 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 272 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 91 views
Recent Topics