The Verdict is GUILTY!!

Melody D.
on 4/20/11 6:46 am - Pueblo, CO
After a lifetime of having something to drink with my meal, I still cannot break that habit.  I know it could be washing away any food I take in, but I justify it by saying a teensy weensy sip can't mess me up.  I, of course know this is wrong, but if the food is too dry or too hot I have to drink something.

What I'm seeking is ideas on how to break this habit.

I also have another problem.  I cannot seem to take in 64-72 ounces of water a day.  I feel like a walking fish bowl everytime I try to get my water in.  I have only found one water that I like- it's Nestle's Pure Life (I don't know why but the taste is appealing in it.  I have tried putting in SF Kool-Aid, Crystal Light, and Mio, but no luck there in wanting to consume what I'm supposed to. 

Help!

Melz

HW-290, SW-288, CW-194, GW-120-130 (Somewhere in there)

Any ideas?
Panniculectomy & Mastopexy (Breast Reduction & Lift)- 1/3/12
Upper Thigh Lift & Upper Arm Lift- 3/13/12
HW-290,
SW-288, GW-127, CW-111

acbbrown
on 4/20/11 6:56 am - Granada Hills, CA
I love crystal light fruit punch, and propel zero water.

I have no idea if it's related, but just a thought - if you tried increasing your water/liquids during the day, maybe it would be easier to break the habit of driniking with food? You are probably really thirsty (legitimately) and that might be affecting you unconsciously? Maybe not either, but either way, it's really really important to stay hydrated.
TammaiTX
on 4/20/11 7:02 am - Austin, TX
RNY on 07/15/10 with
I have the exact same problems...I have definitely cut down on the amount of fluid I take in while eating but I still do it. I also struggle to meet my hydration requirements. I actually had a hydration test at the gym and found out I was at 32% (supposed to be 55-60%). So, I KNOW I need more water. I'm trying....

If you get any great ideas, I am all ears!

Follow my journey...   
http://tammyswellnessjourney.wordpress.com             
RLP39
on 4/20/11 7:04 am
I realized that I cannot have a glass at the table.  My doctor approves of drinking up to the actual time I eat but waiting a minimum of 30 minutes after eating to drink even a sip.  So I down my 8 oz of FF milk, decaffeinated iced tea or water prior to eating and then I put the glass away in the dishwasher.  It was way to tempting not to take a small sip if I had a glass at the table.

Prior surgery I was able to guzzle water with no problem now I am not able to do that anymore though many still can.  So, I find something I enjoy sipping and for me that is decaffeinated hot tea in cold weather with splenda and decaffeinated iced tea in hot weather with splenda.  I throw milk, water and protein shakes in too as additional liquid.

Hang in there you will figure it out! 
HW/SW/CW/GW - 257/229/151/136                      

ceruleanme
on 4/20/11 7:08 am - CA
 I have the same problem with water at meals... but my mouth is REALLY dry, and has been. I have chronic dry mouth issues, and literally cannot get food down without taking a little water in.

My nutritionist didn't seem like it was that big of a deal to take in small sips of water with food- and I'm talking less than a half ounce total.
Jane N.
on 4/20/11 7:14 am - Round Rock, TX
Something that helps with both issues....drink a full glass of water (or beverage of choice) prior to eating.  I make myself finish a bottle of water before I can eat.  It keeps me from eating too much, it keeps my mouth moist enough that food doesn't dry it out, and it boosts my fluid intake for the day.  Give it a try.  Sit down with the drink (or I drink it while I'm cooking) and only after you've finished can you begin your meal.  I have to treat fluids (well except for my morning protein coffee) as medicine, best taken quickly so I get it all in.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/20/11 7:19 am - OH
My suggestion is to NOT put any liquid on the table, but have a small cup with one ice cube in it.  If your mouth is really dry from whatever you are eating, put the ice cube in your mouth just long enough to remoisten it and then spit the ice cube back into the cup.

As far was water, have you tried putting a some lemon or lime in it?  Have you tried the Propel (comes premade or in powder packets)?  The Propel is my favorite (I don't care for most of the Crystal Light flavors).  Also, your daily liquids do not have to be limited to water... perhaps some tea (hot or cold) or coffee (most surgeons want it to be decaf), milk, maybe some Light V8, SF popsicles, SF hot chocolate, SF cider (packets available in with the powdered cocoa mixes).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Amber J.
on 4/20/11 7:25 am - Kirkland, WA
 I love the ice cube idea! I've been really good about not drinking while eating but I have to make sure I don't have any liquid around me or I'm tempted.

LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers

Amy R.
on 4/20/11 7:59 am
I too don't have a glass anywhere near me when I'm eating - it's the only way I've personally been able to break the habit.

As far as not liking the water/being able to get it all down, have you tried fresh lemon? I squeeze a whole lemon into a liter of water. It is SO refreshing. I don't add any sugar or any artificial sweeteners; it's just fresh lemon juice and water.

I didn't care for lemon water pre-op but I love it now and get in my 3 liters/day that way.

Good luck in finding what works!
siberiancat
on 4/20/11 7:56 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
You don't Have to - you choose to.  First you take responsibility for  your actions.

I was a huge drinker with meals.  Here is how I handle it.  I also drink  about 8 oz of water or decaf ice tea right before I eat.  Then I make sure to have moisture in my meal.  I like to have yellow, orange or red pepper (raw) strips, or cucumber slices or cherry tomatoes.  They are full of water.  I can eat them between bites and they provide alot of moisture (and nutrients, fiber and enzymes.)

I also use cottage cheese in most all green salads - again for moisture. ( I don't use salad drsg)

I use salsa on every bite of solid meat - for moisture.

I can't eat dry food.  I dont eat bread (it doesn't have much nutritive value and it is too dry.)  I sometimes will eat 1/2 piece toast with butter, the butter moistens it enough for me.

I eat protein with every snack.  If I have 100% whole grain crackers (rarely) I will have a baby bel light cheese with fresh veggies or fresh fruit.

Fresh berries are really juicy and a great way to end a meal - if you have room.

Experiment.  There are lots of moist foods that you can incorporate into your meals.  Drinking can push too largeof  pieces of food through  your pouch and stretch out the opening and then everything will empty faster from your pouch.  Hope you find something that works.  But stop drinking with your meals.

Best wishes.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 538 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 275 views