Help with portion size

Bralen
on 4/20/11 6:47 am
I had my 8 week appointment today with my surgeon's Nurse Practitioner. During the appointment she asked how much I am eating. I eat three meals per day and they are about 1/2 cup each. Most days, one of those meals is a protein shake and I also have another protein shake at some point during the day. She said 1/2 cup is 4 ounces and that is a huge amount for someone 8 weeks from surgery. She also said not to cut back on my portion size because my weight loss is good.

I looked in my book and it said 2-3 ounces of dense protein and 2-3 tablespoons of vegetables. Wouldn't that be about 4 ounces? I'm so confused. They also had me down as a Lap-Band fill and I am an RNY patient so they were confused as well.
Start weight 263     Surgery weight 247  
Carrie W.
on 4/20/11 7:14 am - KY
I'm 3 weeks out and per my NUT I'm eating 3-4oz of meat (chicken or fish) and up to 1/2 cup of veg (green beans or asparagus). I measure both so I don't go over the amounts. I've had no problems so far.
  HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/20/11 7:22 am - OH
You are just fine for 8 weeks out (as confirmed by your program book)!  Ignore the comment from the NP.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Amber J.
on 4/20/11 7:23 am - Kirkland, WA
 Sounds like she might have been a bit confused. I'm about 6 weeks out and my surgeon's plan says 2 ounces of dense protein and a half cup of veggies. I'm lucky if i can get the 2 ounces of protein down most days but 4 ounces generally seems to be what they have us shoot for. It's defintely not a HUGE amount.

LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers

Bralen
on 4/20/11 8:10 am
It's amazing how a comment like that can put you over the edge. Thank you for your comments.
Start weight 263     Surgery weight 247  
mdolan20
on 4/20/11 8:46 am - Brick, NJ
Wow...my packet says 8 oz of food with 3 oz being lean protein 3 times per day PLUS 2 protein rich snacks not to exceed 150 calories.
Maybe cause I have such a high BMI?
Melissa HW:350 SW:333 CW:234 GW:128

DisneyLover
on 4/20/11 8:56 am - WI
Mine is 2-3 oz protein (or 1/4 cup), 1/4 cup of veggie or fruit and 1/4 of a good starch.  Most of the time it is the protein and the veggie and a bit of a starch if I make one for the rest of the family.  3 meals a day and 2 protein snacks. 2 cups of milk a day and the 64oz of fluids.

I think you are doing just fine.  If you are losing, I wouldn't change a thing.

Sarah

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 540 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 413 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 287 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views