I wasn't supposed to be hungry!

megganholzer
on 4/21/11 2:07 pm - North Las Vegas, NV

Everyone told me that I would have no feeling of hunger and wouldn't want to eat - but I am HUNGRY!  I fill up with just a few bites, but that hunger feeling sucks.  I am only 4 days out, so maybe that comes later.  Any input would be helpful.

Lady Lithia
on 4/21/11 2:17 pm

As obese individuals, we often have a "broken" hunger mechanism.... we haven't experienced the hunger that thin people experience.... we responded to different things.... thirst, emotion, growling tummy all kinds of things that aren't necessarily the hunger signals that thin people respond to.

Because of this we'll continue to feel hunger when the hunger comes from something other than nerves in the stomach sending a message to the brain that it is time to eat (those nerves are cut, can't send sigtnals)

So the challenge and benefit to this knowlege is to know that when you are feeling hungry, likely it's something that you can now examine and figure out hte source, and learn to ignore it.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Pamela S.
on 4/21/11 7:58 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
cindy31
on 4/21/11 8:51 pm - Gwynn Oak, MD
The first few weeks I had no appetite , I assuem do to the swelling , I do get hungry now, but I am also just starting to have that full sensation and usually it is after a few bites.
            Highest weight- 325  Day of surgery- 301  Post surgery -306            
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/21/11 9:37 pm - OH
If you just had surgery this month, it is very unlikely that what you are experiencing is physical hunger because the signal from your stomach to your brain was severed during the surgery.  It may be "head hunger" -- which can be anything from cravings to eat in general (as opposed to cravings to eat something specific)... to misinterpreting other physical or emotional signals as hunger... to feeling "hungry" because of what tegh clock says or what television show is on tv (that you usually ate during) -- or it may be thirst (which sometimes gets interpreted as hunger).

How often are you eating and how much are you drinking?

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Amy R.
on 4/21/11 9:39 pm
Are you really physically hungry (ie, weak, tummy growling, light-headed) or do you just want to eat?
Laura in Texas
on 4/21/11 9:44 pm
I'm 2.5 years out and hungry all the damn time.  If I don't eat every 3 hours, my tummy growls loudly (to the point that everyone in the room can hear it).  My kids get so embarrssed when we're out in public. "Mommy EAT something!!"...lol!!  But it doesn't take much food to make my hunger go away.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Price S.
on 4/21/11 9:51 pm - Mills River, NC
I find when I think I am hungry, that if I drinks something, usually some hot herb tea, I am fine.  Be sure you fluid intake is up enough. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

TamaraL
on 4/21/11 10:27 pm
I was hungry from the beginning but now that I look back I think it was my hormones fluctuating and causing the hunger. 

I would get full with a couple of bites like you.  I honesty ate about every 2-3 hours in the beginning.  Now I eat every 3-4 hours and do okay most days.  Somedays I am starving and go ahead and eat.  I still am only around 800 to 1000 calories/day.  Some days more but mainly 1000 calories.

Tamara

Michelle L.
on 4/22/11 12:00 am - Phoenix, AZ
I think it takes a while for your head to catch up to your body. I was hungry the first few weeks, but I don't think it was actual hunger, just the need to feel full. Now that our "cheeseburger freeway" has been re-routed, that old full feeling is a thing of the past.

It'll get better. You'll get used to what the new "full" feels like, and it's likely that your tastes in food will change as you experiment with old and new foods. For example, hamburgers and pizza used to be staples for me, and now the thought of them makes me sick. (I've tried, unfortunately, so I know for sure!)  But Greek yogurt and even veggies are now yummy.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 532 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 514 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 396 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 243 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 125 views
Recent Topics