Dental Problems after RNY

Sandy_B
on 4/22/11 2:44 pm - Bakersville, NC

I am having major problems with my teeth...can anyone tell me the do's and don'ts of having their teeth fixed or removed?  were they done in the hospital or in stages? did your health insurance cover it? Thanks

Sandy

immafatgirl
on 4/22/11 3:27 pm - KY
IS THIS JUST SINCE THE R.N.Y?
Sandy_B
on 4/23/11 8:41 am - Bakersville, NC

It sure is...I was eating french toast this morning and lost another "piece" of tooth...now that makes 6 teeth in the last few weeks...

Sandy

avidreader
on 4/22/11 10:40 pm - Cary, NC
Check out this link - they discuss dental problems after RNY.

bariatrictv.com/

Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal
250/241/139.5/125
I have a new philosophy, I'm only going to dread one day at a time.  Charlie Brown
SweetLuvableAngel
on 4/22/11 10:49 pm
Same thing is happening to me, Sandy. My teeth keep breaking, fillings fall out and although I'm extremely OCD (yes really. No sarcasm there) Never had any major problems until I had my RNY. I now need dentures. A: we can't afford it" B. I hear dentures are a ***** til you get used to them. C. My dental insurance will only cover a small amount. As for your problems, if it's a tooth in the back that can't be seen and won't mess up your bite, get it pulled. Much cheaper. It sucks though cause I get dry socket ever time. I would be a mess with dry socket It's a real ***** Not that we will ever be able to afford it. So, I continue to never smile because I'm so embarrased. Also, they knock you out with "twiilight sleep but some people call it conscious sedation. You are still alert enough to respond to the doc but you don't remember anything afterwards. Problem is, it doesn't freakin' work for me! Everyone else who gets the twilight combo gets knocked out big time. Not me though. Sucks! I hope everything works out for ya.
Sincerely, redneck looking girl with missing, breaking teeth who looks like a dang meth addict when I smile.

Jamie
Starting wt./surgery wt/current/goal
251/239/105/130
I gained 10 lbs.! Wooohooo!

kiosap
on 4/23/11 2:54 am - Boston, MA
Hi--I am a dental assistant/front desk and have been for 8 years.  I just wanted to offer some suggestions for your dental care.  You can get quality dental work done at a dental school if you have one near you.  Dental students do the work under the supervision of a dentist/professor.  The work is done at a much cheaper rate but the drawback is it may take a lot longer(3-4 visits as opposed to 1-2).  If your job offers a Flex Spending acct I suggest signing up for it.  You can use these pretax dollars for medical expenses such as dental work, eyeglasses, etc.  Trust me, I know first hand that dental work is very expensive! I know that my office offers payment plans for big cases as well as a discount for patients who pay by cash or check.  Hope this helps!
Sandy_B
on 4/23/11 8:50 am - Bakersville, NC

I am so sorry that you are dealing with the same issues...I was told my health insurance would cover it if I had it done in the hospital...My hubby carries me on his dental and it will only pay out $1,000 in a year and that would be 50%...it would cost over $20,000 to have them crownd...root canaled and a bridge...it is all of my teeth...I am like you I don't smile...I will have to be totally sedated...Thank you for sharing...

Sandy

Jeanne190
on 4/23/11 1:15 pm
Jamie!  I had to respond to your post!  Getting any tooth extracted will "mess up your bite"!  Getting any tooth extracted be it a front tooth or a back tooth is a problem!  Teeth are an important part of your body!  If our government would realize that our mouths are part of our bodies, you'd see a lot more dental care covered like it should be!  Also did you know that dental insurance yearly maximums have not been raised since 1962?  Yep, that's right......in 1962 $1500 would take care of your whole mouth and today it will take care of one tooth!  Poof!  Money gone!  Anyway, it does suck to have dental problems especially when you don't have the money to pay for it but, I'm sure if you felt your teeth were that important you would try to find a way and your certainly wouldn't be advising anyone to extract their teeth!  and yes, FYI, denture are a *****! 
Sometimes even to live is an act of courage.  ~Lucius Annaeus Seneca, Letters to Lucilius

siberiancat
on 4/23/11 2:41 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
I've heard of others telling this.  Would you mind telling me if you have been persistent with all your supplements, calcium, Vit D, etc since surgery and have your labs done at least yearly.

I know it can happen if you dont take your supplements and don't get labs to see deficiencies - but want to know if it happens to those that take their supplements too.

Thanks.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Sandy_B
on 4/23/11 11:49 am - Bakersville, NC

I am persistant with my supplements but some times I no more and take them and they come back up...I have health problems with my back and hip and my gb Dr is several hours away...so I have my pcp do blood work...if it isn't in liquid form it gets malabsorbed...

Sandy

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 362 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 268 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 388 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 479 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 399 views