Anxiety

shida1129
on 4/22/11 2:30 pm - Homestead, FL
I have been looking forward to my surgery date for months.  Working hard towards getting everything and everyone ready for it.  The problem is....I freaked out today for the first time.  I realize I am just two weeks away and I am not afraid of the change in eating habits.  I know what the surgery consist of.  I am confident in my decision to have the surgery and who I picked as a surgeon.  I am just scared of the actual surgery.  How do I get over this?  My emotions are really all over the place today.  Has anyone every experience anxiety before surgery?

Jeannie

mdolan20
on 4/22/11 2:42 pm - Brick, NJ
Oh sure!! This has been post a few times recently...maybe always, but I'm new lol...

My thing is, you made the decision, you've educated yourself on the pros and cons, you are condfident in your decision.

A few days before surgery I started to get panicky over it and I thought ":How am I gonna get through these few days?" I was very weepy etc. Then somehow I just thought, worrying isn't going to help me and I'm not going to NOT do it so suck it up girlie. And I didn't think about it again.
That said, you have to just distract yourself. For me, it was almost like a robotic state. I went through the motions but avoided any and all emotion.

Next think I knew I was waking up :) You are gonna do great! The time will go quickly, you'll look back and think wow -thank God I did it, it's over, and I'm on my way to a new me!
Melissa HW:350 SW:333 CW:234 GW:128

dkwilliams1
on 4/22/11 3:55 pm - AK
OMG !!!! I am feeling the same way !!! and there are others who are too... we are not alone  I plan to buy a LOT of yarn, and I will be making tons of scarves, socks, hats, anything to keep my mind off it... I am 5 days away from my date... we'll be fine. Find a good book to get lost in, or start making stuff.
   we'll be dancing the "loser's dance" in no time !!!

Mamakind
on 4/22/11 5:58 pm - Canada
 I had the exact same experience last week of all of a sudden feeling very emotional about the whole thing. I'm not worried so much about the surgery for me per se, as much as being scared about something going wrong and what would happen to my kids if that happened.

I'll admit I'm also not looking forward to nine days or so of not a single visitor. I have to travel to another city about three hours away for my surgery. My mom is going to drive me out and stay with me the night before the surgery, then go home the same day after I get out after the surgery. I'll be in the hospital for about six days (it's an open RNY) and then the surgeon expects you to stay in town for at least three days afterward, so I'll be taking a cab to a hotel/motel and staying there until my mom comes to pick me up three days later. I don't know ANYBODY in Medicine Hat (where I'm getting the surgery). And it's not like there's anywhere to go even if I had a car to get there (Medicine Hat is tiny compared to Calgary, where I'm from).

Geez I hope there's wifi in the hospital and if not, at least in the hotel.

shida1129
on 4/22/11 11:06 pm - Homestead, FL

I am sorry to hear that but I know that you must be a very strong person.  Call the hotel and make sure they have WIFI ahead of time.  That way your connected to the world. Have you gotten together all the items you might need since you wont be going home?  I am sure there might be additional items since it is and open RNY. These forums are very helpful in regards to lifting you spirits and giving you some sollid advice.

Good luck!  My prayers and thoughts will be with you.   See you on the losers side. 

Jeannie

Jeannie

plum21
on 4/22/11 7:20 pm - Miami, FL
 We have the same surgeon. He and his team are great. I'm not sure why you're so afraid of the surgery - you'll be completely out of it. To not have any embarrassment beforehand, I told myself, these people are professionals; they've done this procedure hundreds of times; there's nothing special about my case.
Everything was great for me. I'm almost ten months out and haven't had a problem. The staff at the hospital was great, warm, friendly, competent and professional.
Good luck. Don't forget to breathe.

shida1129
on 4/22/11 10:59 pm - Homestead, FL
Thank you all.  I am calmer today.  This is like a roller coaster ride.  My fear of the surgery is  what if something happens.  I keep thinking about my son and how my poor husband who doesnt event know how to fry an egg will care for him.  LOL 

Thank you.  I thought I was going crazy for a moment.  Never really experience rollercoaster of emotions.  I am going to keep busy by putting together a projection poster!  That way I can visualize everything I want to do after the surgery. 

Again,  thanks to all.  Sometimes its easier when  you know that your not alone.

Jeannie

Jeannie

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 565 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 343 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 457 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 370 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?