i want mac n cheese

jdubskinny
on 4/24/11 2:44 pm - NV
had a downer day .. I just tried to eat my dinner ( vegetarian chicken ) it did not go down so well but i am hungry i think and I just want some easy mac????

I am 5 months out and have not really had a pasta meal

ack ...
-JDUB 

Ladytazz
on 4/24/11 3:35 pm
I know it's tough but it really helps if you can avoid all refined carbs, at least until you reach your goal.  The weight loss window is relatively short and during that time it is important to develop the habits you will need to keep the weight off for life.  Focus on protein, getting your fluids in and hang in there.
That said, there are recipes online for fake mac and cheese made with cauliflower.  You can do a search here, on Bariatric Foodie, Eggface or Google and you should find many.  Not the real thing but good enough for me to satisfy any cravings.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

dragonfly queen
on 4/24/11 9:28 pm
I have only had a bite or two of mac and cheese (used to be a fave!) since my surgery and it got horribly stuck - now just seeing the words makes my pouch scream "no!" lol.

I understand the need for comfort, trust me, but it's not in the mac and cheese. 
DisneyLover
on 4/24/11 11:32 pm - WI
I had a teaspoon of mac n cheese a few weeks ago and felt like crap after.  Another thing to cross off my list of foods. :)

Sarah

soldierzgirl36
on 4/24/11 11:39 pm - WA
I have had some mac and cheeese. It didnt get stuck cause I chew my flld extra well. Only had a little bit, and not that often. I did not feel bad afterwards. After you take a bite or two you are pretty much done anyway. I ate only maybe 3 teaspoons and got my feel and now I do not crave it anymore, well for now:)

SOLDIERZGIRL

Cleopatra_Nik
on 4/25/11 12:08 am - Baltimore, MD
Try this.

http://bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com/2011/03/four-cheese-mash ed-cauliflower.html

But for my mom's homemade baked mac 'n cheese (which we can only convince her to make at Thanksgiving) my kids actually PREFER this.

Hope it helps.

Nik

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

JennaKopanyi
on 4/25/11 1:21 am - Harpers Ferry, WV
I made this last night, it tasted like cheeseburger helper, you can eliminate the ground turkey for regular ole mac n cheese

1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste

8 oz ground turkey

16 ounce bag frozen cauliflower

4 ounces cream cheese

2 tablespoons heavy cream or milk

4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded

2 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded

Brown turkey in skillet, set aside.

Cook the cauliflower until tender; drain in a collander and gently press out excess water by pressing with a bowl, toss, repeat. Set aside.

Soften the cream cheese in the microwave about 30-40 seconds on HIGH. Whisk in the cream until smooth, then stir in 4 ounces cheddar cheese. Microwave on MEDIUM about 2-3 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Stir well until creamy and smooth, microwaving a little longer if necessary. Add the turkey and the cauliflower and gently fold into the cheese sauce to coat well. Adjust the seasonings if needed. Top with the remaining 2 ounces cheese and bake at 350º for 35 minutes, until bubbly and brown on top.

Makes 4-6 servings

I think I got my original recipe from Linda's Low Carb Recipes, but have severely doctored it since then

7/18/10: 211lbs, 10/16/10: 174 lbs, 1/21/11: 146 lbs, 4/20/11: 131 lbs. Insulin FREE since 7/2010, "normal" BMI since 12/2010. I'm 31, 5'5", happily married, with a fabulous 3 year old boy, and hope to add to our family in the near future       

jnt_179
on 4/25/11 1:25 am
I have started making my mac and cheese with whole grain noodles. The hubby actually prefers this over the regular noodles. I can only eat a bite or 2 of them and I am done. I have also found that broccoli and cheese also satisfies the craving for mac and cheese.

HW:345lbs/SW:319lbs/CW:210lbs/GW:170lbs

Kristine E.
on 4/25/11 5:46 am - VA
RNY on 01/27/11 with
I eat broccoli cheese soup too when I crave Mac n Cheese
kriskj
on 4/25/11 4:22 am - Canada
Since surgerry i have had it twice, i use the Smart Kraft Dinner instead of original. The noodles are vegetable based. Sat well, tastes just like KD....... yum yum!!
   Since Nov '10        Since Surgery
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 544 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 324 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 129 views