RNY vs VSG

Jhb617
on 4/24/11 10:38 pm - Livonia, MI
I am having difficulty deciding between RNY and VSG.  I have my surgicial consultation today and not sure which way I should go...anyone have any insight?
Thanks!
Jhb617
on 4/24/11 10:40 pm - Livonia, MI
I guess I should add more detail...I have a BMI >50.  I don't have diabetes or HBP.  I have sleep apnea and arthritis in the knees.  Other than that, I am pretty healthy.
laura_vermont
on 4/24/11 11:10 pm
My surgeon was the most helpful person in making my decision.  I also made an appointment with my PCP to discuss which surgery would be best for me - they aren't getting paid for the surgery - so a neutral medical professional is a good idea. 

Good luck with your decision.
Laura
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

Jhb617
on 4/24/11 11:20 pm - Livonia, MI
Thanks Laura!
MultiMom
on 4/24/11 11:46 pm - NH
My decision was made easy in that insurance only covered RNY or the band. I knew I didn't want the band and couldn't afford any surgery on my own. I am VERY happy with the RNY.

Let your doctors help you make the best choice for you.

Martha

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

Kim S.
on 4/25/11 12:31 am - Helena, AL
I thought I wanted a band until I met with my surgeon.  They can offer insight into what they think is best for your situation.  My BMI was over 50 and I had no co-morbities and was basically a healthy fat girl.  My doctor suggested RNY due to my destroyed metabolism and family history of obesity.  I am so glad I did it and have never regretted it.

My sister had the VSG two months before I had my RNY.  She was barely 100 lbs overweight.  She has done well with weight loss but hasn't completely changed her lifestyle so I hope she'll do good at maintaining.  She also suffers from food addiction so that is another demon she faces.  She has been very happy with her results and doesn't regret her decision.

Do your homework, let your surgeon guide you and pick what is best for you--this is a big decision for the rest of your life.

Kim

Shae-mae
on 4/25/11 2:15 am - FL
I'm like the post you've already received, my insurance made that decision for me. The insurance company will not pay for a VSG. The only choice I have is Lap Band or RNY. My surgeon seems to think the RNY is better because of the succuss rate verses Lap Band. So, I'm waiting for my RNY.
danigirl42
on 4/25/11 3:08 am - PA
VSG on 01/02/13

Your surgeon will be able to tell you what they think would work best for you.  I really wanted a VSG but insurance does not cover it unless it's in conjunction with an RNY or DS.  My surgeon feels that I wouldn't  see the results with a VSG that I would want and he recommended RNY anyway (which insurance does cover thankfully).

Jhb617
on 4/25/11 3:18 am - Livonia, MI
Thankfully my insurance covers 90% of the band, the RNY and the sleeve.  I have my surgical consult today so I am eager to hear what his suggestion will be.
Becky D.
on 4/25/11 5:28 am - CA
I wasn't quite sure which surgery I wanted.
My surgeon recommended RNY because I was practically living on sugar.
I'm so happy I listened to him.
I now feel like I've kicked an addiction to sugar.
I know with any addiction I will always be in recovery but so far so good.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 350 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 383 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 477 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 395 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 15 replies · 68 views
Recent Topics