Vitamins and protein shakes

Korlis
on 4/25/11 7:56 am - CA
Hi Everyone...

I've actually talked about Fusion vitamins here and how much I love(d) them lol...preop I was given a few samples and they tasted great! I was excited to have found a vitamin that wouldn't cause me to heave after chewing it...

But then I got the rny, and now these vitamins taste bleh to me, which stinks because I bought a whole bottle before the surgery so I would have it ready.

My question is: has anyone tried to blend them up with a protein shake? it should be the same right? this particular vitamin has to be taken 4 times a day for bypass patients but I doubt I'll be having 4 shakes a day, but I plan on switching to a 2x per day vit which taking in two shakes per day would be pretty easy for me...

anyone have any insight on blending a chewable vit into a protein shake?

I'm thinking it would be the same, but you never know lol

thanks all!
Highest Weight: 421
Surgery Weight: 369
Current Weight: 250
Amy R.
on 4/25/11 8:00 am
blech!!!

Doesn't sound very yummy, but protein shakes are so nasty to me anyway that it might not matter. Please let us know if it works.

Why can't they make a decent tasting vitamin, or protein bar or protein shake? They can send a man to the moon for crying out loud, but the best they can do with this bariatric stuff is to make it so that you don't actually puke when you taste it. Someone could make themselves rich if they could get this stuff to actually taste GOOD. =)
vitalady
on 4/25/11 11:20 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
SO THAT is where I erred. I put everything in capsules because I'm not tasting ANYTHING. No way, never did.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Korlis
on 4/25/11 8:07 am - CA
OMG i may be able to help u!!

I hate the taste of protein powders, too...BUT i did some experimenting and I don't even feel like I'm having a protein anything!

I've become a smoothie pro! lol

Anytime I get a protein powder I get VANILLA only...reason for this is most of the other flavors don't really taste like what they're saying, ie: chocolate, chocolate peanut butter, etc...they just taste like chocolate chalk to me

So, I get vanilla for the 'cream flavor' it adds to the shake.

Then I take a yogurt of my liking (I use Dannon Lite & Fit), add my scoop of vanilla powder (sorta adds that milk/cream flavor I was talking about), fresh or frozen fruit of my liking, about 3-4 cubes of ice, and about 1/4c of milk (the yogurt acts at most of the milk for me so I don't add a lot...I only add it so it's not SOOO thick that the blender doesn't want to crush the ice)

Today I used peach yogurt...I just empty the entire single serving tub. I had some Yoplait Strawberry and Banana Smoothie frozen fruit left (I don't dump on anything so be mindful if you dump on sugar, I just tried to find the lesser sugar'd ones)...it is AMAZING! I'm drinking it now...it tastes like a smoothie you'd make for a party or something....

try it, tell me whatcha think

Experiment with different yogurts...they are a LIFESAVER for me as far as flavoring the shake...so much happier right now

Kor
Amy R.
on 4/25/11 8:11 am
Yogurt is the ONE thing I haven't tried mixing with the protein powder yet, Kor.  I will def give it a try.

Thanks for the idea!!!   At this point, I'll try just about anything.  I still have to get in 120grams of protein per day so still drink several shakes and usually  just resort to mixing them with as little liquid as possible so I can get them down in the fewest swallows.  Gonna give your recipes a shot!    =)

Thanks again!
vitalady
on 4/25/11 11:22 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Have you tasted everything we've got? I mean, more than 80?

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Korlis
on 4/25/11 12:51 pm - CA
I've actually never tasted anything from u :D
vitalady
on 4/28/11 12:36 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
I musta thought you were local. Locals taste for free if they come to us. However, samples are cheap and many!

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

poet_kelly
on 4/25/11 8:38 am - OH
That brand is not so great anyway.

Really, you'd need eight a day, not four.  The ASMBS says you need 200% of the RDA of most things but four of those only gives you 100% of many things.  So you'd need eight.

The ASMBS says you need 1500-2000 mg calcium citrate per day.  Four BF gives you only 1200 mg calcium - but it's not all citrate.  Some is calcium carbonate, which you won't absorb.  So you'd need extra calcium citrate but I dunno how  much 'cause they don't tell you how much they have.

You'd still need B12 because we can't absorb B12 we swallow because we lack intrinsic factor in our pouch.  You'd need a sublingual, or patch, or nasal spray, or shots.

If you want vitamins in a protein shake, how about ENS with protein from Celebrate?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Korlis
on 4/25/11 10:35 am - CA
definetly give them a try! i'm interested in hearing what you think...like i said, the yogurts kicked up the flavor a thousand notches for me..made it MUCH more tolerable :D

PoetKelly: TY so much for posting all those numbers, you made me realize how much I DON'T know that I need! shee****hought the vitamins I'm taking would take care of what I need daily, but I guess not...I feel so...uninformed :(

I just received some samples from Celebrate actually. I'll definetly give it a shot. Man...I have a lot of research to do, I'm so thankful for this site...I'd be severely lost without you guys!
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 362 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 246 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 387 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 479 views